Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Performance Superlites I mentioned earlier are the same style as US Panasports and are manufactured right here in Dandenong, Victoria :D Plus they are always in stock :)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
All,

What size and offset/backspacing is suitable for a Super (aftermarket wheels) ? Car will be only slightly lowered, if at all.

If you stick with a 15" diameter, and say 6" width, what size tyre do you choose (195/65-15 ?). Is 195 too much tyre for a 1600 Super ?

I'm not after extra wide rubber, it's just that most aftermarke wheels I like are only available in 15/6" minimum width.

Main concerns are tyres fouling the body, and having too much tyre to steer/drive.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I too am currently restoring a '67 Giulia Super. I've been looking at pics of diff. Supers and have found that in Europe most use Minilites or Panasport. I found the following site: www.photo.net/photos/svante.johansson
Under photos of cars ( he must like Alfas) , there is the most beautiful Giulia Super. It's in a marron/red color with what look like star Cromodoras (insert in black) outer rim polished. I have been trying to get info. on car w/ no luck. Does anyone know the Owner? I would love to know type of wheel on car.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldnt put anything skinnier than 195 on a 6" rim and I doubt tyre places would either. There are a few 14x6 around, Performance Superlites come in that size with a wide range of PCDs and offset.

As for the 'too much tyre' problem - I think its all a matter of personal choice. My GTV had 205s, my Berlina has 185s and to be honest I dont really give a rats hole either way, except perhaps that the 205s tramlined a little bit. I think in a GSuper 195 would be the max optimum.

So beatle, now you have to tell us.. why all the questions about a Giulia Super?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just so we are clear on this. How do you measure "40mm OFFSET" ?

I assume you mean that the hub mounting surface of the wheel is 40mm outboard from the plane of the centre of the wheel rim ?

Different folks have different interpretations.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The 105 sedan body needs higher offset numbers in the back than the coupe, IIRC. I've got the Heinbrand TZ replicas, which are 15x5.5 and *I'm told* are ET41. They fit with a 5.00 x 15 Dunlop bias-ply vintage race tire. A knowledgable supplier suggested that 15x6 ET38 Panasports would fit, too.

-df

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I wouldnt put anything skinnier than 195 on a 6" rim and I doubt tyre places would either. There are a few 14x6 around, Performance Superlites come in that size with a wide range of PCDs and offset.

As for the 'too much tyre' problem - I think its all a matter of personal choice. My GTV had 205s, my Berlina has 185s and to be honest I dont really give a rats hole either way, except perhaps that the 205s tramlined a little bit. I think in a GSuper 195 would be the max optimum.

So beatle, now you have to tell us.. why all the questions about a Giulia Super?
I'm working a cunning plan ;) You will be among the first to know if it comes to fruition.:)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Stuart Jr. and I are putting together an order for 16x6 Panasports with a 40mm offset. I was planning on running 185/50's on a very lowered car. A 185/60 will also fit, and a 195/60 0r 50 should fit with the 40mm offset, especially if the cars not slammed. If you are interested in a set @$850 (approx.), contact Stuart at Alfa Performance Connection, 949-588-0500

·
Registered
554 Posts
Oops, I see your on the other side of the planet. Well , you can have Panasport make you a set, it just takes 6 or 8 months;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Beatle,

Yes on your assumption of offset.

Wow, the photos of Svante Johansson are amazing. The car photos are average but the others, nice.

To Chi Si Dici, The wheels on the red Ti appear to be the Revolution type from UK. They have been around since the early 70's. Do a search as they are still manufactured.

Here is one of the Ti's at his photo site. This is the lowest Ti Iv'e ever seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This thread's posts are all over the place... the bugs arent ironed out yet it seems :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Alfa Factory Specs

I've seen tables with Alfa factory specs which reflect 45mm offset as the standard issue for the Giulia sedans.

I'm interested in running a 14x6 inch rim with 165R-14 tires. The available wheels are the Daytona replicas with 35mm offset, as well as Panasports (good to hear they are 38mm offset), and my preference of the Alfaholics Strada wheels. I've seen the Stradas on a variety of Giulias, but do not know the offset.

I've seen some comments that the 165 series tire is too narrow to run on a 6 inch wide wheel. Is this true? My first choice has been the Strada set up, but both the Daytonas and Panasports look great, too. Tough choice.

As soon as I digest an engine rebuild (choke), I hope to get after the wheels, and a few cosmetic items. It's a never ending story.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have Campagnolo America's on my 1300 Super, 6x14 ET ( offset) 28 mm, this with 185-70-14 tyres is the maximum you can have without modifieing
the rear fenders, rear axles have to be just in the middle

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Ish,
I'm not sure on the offset issue, but I have 165/14s on 14x6 "Spider alloys" the daytona-esque ones. They work just fine and don't look overly spread out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
HI Mike, do you know what year spiders those wheels came off of? They measure 4 3/4" from the back of the bead to the mounting face, while other similar wheels measure 4 1/4". Justcallmefred has a set and we are looking for some others.

Incidentally, I called Tire Rack and asked what wheels they had that fit 4 X 105mm and they came up with several, however they are 15 X7inches, 42mm offset. Sounds a little wide for a Super rear fender tub. Still only $99 each, Worth a try??

·
Registered
642 Posts
Love those wheels !

Now, where to find a set !!!

Dan
67 Super racecar being built

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ish-man-

Tire Rack shows recommended rim widths on the "Specs" page for each tire model they sell. They don't have anything in a 165/80-14 (same as 165R-14), but they do have a 165/80-15 (that's VW bug size). That tire is supposed to go onto 4" -5.5" width rims. 6 inches might be a bit of a stretch....

-df

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
HI Mike, do you know what year spiders those wheels came off of? They measure 4 3/4" from the back of the bead to the mounting face, while other similar wheels measure 4 1/4". Justcallmefred has a set and we are looking for some others.
Hi George,
I'm not sure as they were on the car when I bought it in '92. They look identical to the ones on my '84 Spider and say 14x6 on the outer rim. There were two manufacturers that made these wheels.

Hi Dan,
The 165/14 was standard size for Alfas using a 5 1/2 " rim from '69 until '78 or so. It is not a problem to stretch them the extra 1/2 inch. It actually reduces sidewall flex.

Also, I have seen "Spider wheels" used on several Supers with no problems.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts