Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years (it seams), I have been trying to figure out what kind of rims to put on my car. I want after market but don't want pannasport, 5 star cromo.'s and the other common wheels. I understand the bolt pattern is 4x108mm and tire size on 14" is 185-195 / 60-14. I want to put a more "concave" looking rim like the old GTA style magnesium on my car. I would like to have the tire stickout even with the edge of the wheel arch.
What offset would I use? Dose anyone have experience on this sort of adventure? Any cool rims for sale?

Thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
There is a difference in the GTV rear wheel archs. The change came in with the 1969 model which has an arch that is about 2" higher than the earlier (drop nose) model. You can run slightly less offset with the newer/higher arch, maybe 3 or 4 mm less. That said, the amount of offset that will work depends on the actual, as opposed to theoretical, tire section width. Beware, however. If the tire section extends out past the inner side of fender, you can expect some rubbing when you go through dips at any sort of speed.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
They make GTA re-production wheels, you can purchase them from IAP.

Becareful with the look you want. Like Bruce said and from my experience, you will have rubbing issue's. GTV's rear suspensions are soft. Trust me it's not fun seeing brand new yokohamas getting eaten away.

As far as offset, the best thing to do is look at other people's setups and you'll see what you like and don't.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Does anyone know if the repro GTA wheels IAP sells are the same ones Re-originals or Alfaholics sells?

Ciao,

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'd bet all the repo GTA wheels are from the same mfgr. It costs a lot to tool up to make them and the market is fairly limited.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!! I'm out in Minneapolis and no one has anything but stock on their cars (GTV, Spider...). Dose anyone know of a brand or rim manufacture that people have used on their car? Also, I saw a tool used on some car show that can calculate the offset, tire width and height combination that can be put on any particular car. Dose anyone know what this tool is called?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Interesting that the Alfaholics site says the GTA wheels are "manufactured by Alfaholics in the UK". They are considerably less expensive than the IAP or Re-originals ones.

I've been thinking about buying a set of GTA wheels for my GTV. Anyone on the list who is running GTA repro wheels on their 115.01 care to comment. Who did you get your wheels from and how do you like them?

Ciao,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wheels for GTV

I have a set of old Centerline Modular 15x7 for my GTV for track days. They are shod with 225/45 15 Kuhmo V700. Here is a pic of the wheels. The suspension is set up with Ward/Dean springs on front, cut spider springs on rear, Spax adj shocks, adjust front control arms set to 3 deg neg camber. Really love the set up and the wheels weigh only 11lbs each.

Attachments

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm...

Center lines on an alfa. The small gears in my head are turning. I'd like to see what that looks like. Can you post any pics with the wheels on the car? At 11lbs. each thats quite a bit of weight savings over the popular 13-14lbs Panosports.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What would the set of rims run? I have Koni (non-adjustable (red color)) shocks and Centerline Alfa springs and adjustable control arms. Would this suffice?
What are your opinions on installing larger sway bars or has someone out there made a "strut" bar? There is a company (I think Alfaholics) that makes an all aluminum T-bar for the rear suspension cutting the weight almost in half.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Koni Reds

Hey Dan:

I have Koni Red shocks and they are adjustable. You sure yours are Koni's or did they make a nonadjustable red shock?

John M

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No idea...if mine are adjustable I don't know how. What would I look for to determine if they are or not?

·
Registered
207 Posts
GTV Wheels

I purchased these wheels from Paul Spruell. I got 6 for about $500. The center hole is large enough that you don't have to cutout the center lip on the rear hub. This makes them lug centric so you have to use the deep lug nuts and make sure all 4 are centered on each stud.

I think your setup is fine, but I would probably use the panhard rod from Tom Zat rather than an alum reaction triangle. Check those Koni's again. They are probably adjustable but you have to remove them to do so.

Here are a couple of pics

Zal
86 Spider Veloce
74 GTV
79 Alfetta (for sale cheap)
74 Vespa 150 Super with side car

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
rschae007

rschae007 - I pretty sure there Adjustable.

There a picture below:

Instructions:
Fully compress the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (anti-clockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjusting nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly (fig. 1).
NOTE: Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and this must be removed prior to adjusting. Don’t forget to re-install.

2. Keeping the shock absorber compressed make 1 full turn (360°) to the right (clockwise). The total range is about 5 half turns (fig. 2).
3. Extend the shock absorber vertically for at least 1 cm without turning in order to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

WARNING: Adjust both left and right dampers identically. Failure to do so may lead to unstable handling and uneven tyre tread wear.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A good setting it to turn them right 5 half turns (till fully screwed in), and then screw them back out 2 and half turns. My 2 cents.

74GTEEE - That's a sweet Alfa, I like the ride height and wheels! Good stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Dan:

Snaidy has got it right. That is how mine are adjusted. If they are Konis thats all there is to it.

John M

BTW-- very nice GTV

1 - 20 of 38 Posts