Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, on my 1989 S3 I have 14" wheels with 195/60/14 tires. Is that usual? I find that the car is abnormally down and I frequently touch the ground... fortunately there is a crankcase protection... What tires set do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
The tire/wheel choice will not have much effect on ground clearance. It is possible that a prior owner may have installed shorter (sport) springs to lower the car a bit. Changing back to original springs would raise the car a bit.

For full disclosure, I installed sport springs, but I removed the sump guard because it hit the ground too much in normal driving. I have 15" wheels with 205/55-15 tires.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,821 Posts
195/60/14 is too short. Stock size is 185/70/14 which has a 130mm sidewall, and yours have a 117mm sidewall so your engine is 13mm closer to the ground.

Old tired springs and shocks will also let it hit the ground more easily.

Can you post a photo of it? Has it been lowered?

Reactions: maxmomo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tire/wheel choice will not have much effect on ground clearance. It is possible that a prior owner may have installed shorter (sport) springs to lower the car a bit. Changing back to original springs would raise the car a bit.

For full disclosure, I installed sport springs, but I removed the sump guard because it hit the ground too much in normal driving. I have 15" wheels with 205/55-15 tires.
View attachment 1648427

View attachment 1648427
I think you’re right, the car’s probably been lowered... the choice of tires isn’t going to change much. We’ll have to change the springs

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
You can run 185 tyres on a rim that has been widened to suit 195s
Pete

Reactions: maxmomo

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
There are spacers available for these cars which sit above the springs. As a US late model spider, I suspect your car had some when new (Coz of headlight height regulations), and they have been removed.
If you are happy with the handling and ride quality of the springs you have now, perhaps you could consider putting some spacers back...they would be cheaper than new springs, and still raise your ride height.
Note that a 10mm spacer in front will give you a 20mm ride height increase (2:1). In the rear it’s more 1:1, so 10mm spacer = 10mm rise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[QUOTE = "Ranz, message: 8575152, membre: 31846"]
Il existe des entretoises disponibles pour ces voitures qui se trouvent au-dessus des ressorts. En tant qu'araignée de modèle tardif aux États-Unis, je soupçonne que votre voiture en avait quand elle était neuve (en raison de la réglementation sur la hauteur des phares), et elles ont été supprimées.
Si vous êtes satisfait de la maniabilité et de la qualité de roulement des ressorts que vous avez actuellement, vous pourriez peut-être envisager de remettre des entretoises ... elles seraient moins chères que les nouveaux ressorts, tout en augmentant votre hauteur de caisse.
Notez qu'une entretoise de 10 mm à l'avant vous donnera une augmentation de la hauteur de caisse de 20 mm (2: 1). À l'arrière, c'est plus 1: 1, donc entretoise de 10 mm = élévation de 10 mm.
[/CITATION]
Ok, merci pour l'information. Je vais regarder ça, mais la voiture vient d'Allemagne ... merci pour l'idée

1 - 9 of 9 Posts