Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read lots of posts but...

My 1969 came with the 14" stock steel wheels which I love the looks of.

I like the light feel of the narrow tires. Which are the best tires for these?

And if I replace the wheels to get access to better tires without loosing the light feel and classic look what are the recommendations?

Thoughts:

1. 15" - and should they be widened. (like steel wheel look with big hubcaps for classic look)

2. Alloy gta style. Much lighter. Can I put the classic hubcaps on them for classic look?

Are the tires much better in 15"? Not looking for really wide or max grip as a vintage steering feel is important to me, as is the look.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the stock steel 14" wheels I assume the following sizes original 78 aspect ratio:

185/70-14, 195/65-14 and 205/60-14

Looks like more choices in 185/70 with pirreli p4, kumho , sumitomo and Yokohama avid.

One of those the way to go?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Falken has a couple nice offerings in the 195 size if you want yet another brand to paruse.
Lots of threads in this and the suspension subsection of the forum that go into pretty good depth regarding exactly what you're asking about.

AFA hubcaps, the pair on the front are the same size regardless of what wheel you hang over them. There obviously are none on the rear.

Now if you're talking wheel covers and trims rings and such, they are generally directly specific to the size wheel they are going on.
EG: a 14" trim ring isn't going to go on a 15" wheel and a 15" moon style cover won't go on a 14" wheel.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The GTA replica wheels, such as Alfaholics', do not have the bumps that are part of the original steel wheels, which served to hold the hubcap on.

You could use the 115 era metal hubcaps that go under the wheel lug nuts, but the wheel center may interfere; besides, they look like a chromed version of the GTA casting...

Robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts