Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
It was finally aired this week on Velocity in Canada.
I’m and avid watcher of the show, and its amazing how critical you become when it’s a car you know and love.
Especially the oversights in process and finish. Granted the process isn’t intended to be a diy or make the car concourse ready.
Things I noticed:
• They kept referring to the hardtop as rare, which they really aren’t to the degree they’d have watchers believe.
• They didn’t install the felt and metal cam cover washers in the correct locations
• They didn’t mark the driveshaft before separating it. They changed the giubo and carrier bearing, and didn’t mention show testing/changing the u-joints
• The exterior of the car looked really good, and yet they didn’t swap out the front nose pad that had two ugly screws holding it on the bumper, or the badly faded trunk lid emblem

It was really interesting to see the inside of the differential and what’s involved in getting the rear axle off the car.

I just found this link for anybody that hasn't seen it.
Wheeler Dealers S15E04 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio2 Motor Trend - Video Dailymotion

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Diff play

sorry, bit late but does anyone know how Ant got the play out of the diff, I have the same problem and would like to know how to fix it
I believe he replaced the clutch pack and added extra plates.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad I found this thread, I'm actually talking to the current owner about purchasing this car.

Regarding the LSD and the extra friction plates, what's the impact of that? Is it going to be like driving an old V8 Mustang where if you go around the corner too fast you can get turned around quick?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Glad I found this thread, I'm actually talking to the current owner about purchasing this car.

Regarding the LSD and the extra friction plates, what's the impact of that? Is it going to be like driving an old V8 Mustang where if you go around the corner too fast you can get turned around quick?
Depends. In the wet, all working as expected then yes you need to be careful. In the dry not so much, and the plates do wear so often people will say ‘oh my diff is locked up’ but they did that 10 years back and have done a few thousand miles since.

Easiest way I find to check if it’s still working is drive into a bit of gravel, put on full lock and idle around in circle. You should hear the inside wheel scramble and slip on the loose surface as the diff locks up. Well, that’s my experience anyway.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You might be best off, if you haven't driven an Alfas much, to re-swap the friction discs in the LSD. There are four plates on each side, 2 driven, 2 discs. Just install them AABB, about 40% transfer. ABAB is the racing set up, about 70% transfer. The later gives you a bit too much on normal streets, making the car dramatically understeer under power. Turn in and you suddenly can't get around the corner.

It's really easy to do - just unbolt the large flange axle and the diff slips out.

Robert

·
Registered
7 Posts
The thing I can't understand is if you double the amount of friction plates can you still bolt the diff back together properly or do you have to remove something else?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The thing I can't understand is if you double the amount of friction plates can you still bolt the diff back together properly or do you have to remove something else?
There are always four plates on each side so you do not change the height of the stack; you just shuffle them, being careful not to swap any parts to different sides. Early 105's came with two of each on each side, later cars had one friction plate and three idle plates. A plates have teeth that engage the axle, B plates have teeth that engage the diff carrier. If you stack them AABB (just two friction contacts, between the A and B plates) or AAAB in later cars, you get standard LSD, about 30% torque transfer. If you stack them ABAB (three friction contacts at EACH AB pair) you get about 70% torque transfer.

The later is used on most track cars, and not recommended for street cars. The reason is that this makes the car oversteer on throttle a LOT! I've had my street Duetto in that configuration since 1975 and love it. But I also have many years of track and racing experience, so I am familiar wirth an oversteering car (like most Porches too) because it makes slow corners a bit faster. However you need to be aware of the effect and very experienced in using it. Otherwise you can spin out with a surprise if you use just a bit too much throttle, or not make the turn at all if you don't use enough to get the rear loose.

Robert

21 - 35 of 35 Posts