Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are 17X8 wheels too wide? Most people seem to go to a 7.5in wide rim as a maximum, but I have found a 17x8 rim, and I just want to make sure it will fit before I buy.

Thanks guys,

Tetteh

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Are 17X8 wheels too wide? Most people seem to go to a 7.5in wide rim as a maximum, but I have found a 17x8 rim, and I just want to make sure it will fit before I buy.

Thanks guys,

Tetteh
No you can run them, just need a spacer on the rear 5-10mm, 10mm preferred!
I am running 235/40 tire which is made for a 8.0" wheel but fits just fine on a 7.5. No rubbing. Just sold the last set of Siena wheels to a 164 customer in a 18X8.0 which are fine. Can't wait to see those if he gets me a pic.
make sure, and I repeat make sure the offset is lower than stock, like 25mm-30mm et.
Now if running a 5 mm spacer on a 40mm offset wheel that will reduce the offset by well 5mm, the offset will be 35mm, 10mm spacer= 30mm et, perfect

25mm offset with a 10mm spacer= 15mm offset, that is what I have on the rear. 25mm with a 5mm spacer =20mm on front.

Works fine for me. I like a lower offset anyway. Better tire wear and handling is just fine for street use. Corners great. Just remember most European touring cars run a 0 offset. Not that that is something to go by but they do just about the same type of cornering we do in a car but lower speeds. The camber is still going to give your the good handling.

Jason

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Jason!! Hey, I am going to attempt to change my timing belt and water pump next weekend, so I will be calling you for advice if that is okay with you. It sounded real easy when you told me the steps, but now that I have all the parts and I am ready to do it, I am getting a little scared I will mess it up big time and screw up my engine!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts