Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched, but still have a question.
Wheel spacers any good ?
Some posts or article said high quality aluminum wheel spacers not only brings the a visual change but also more comfortable driving experience.
Is that ture ? What's your experience of using wheel spacer ? Is it safe and reliable ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I've got 5mm spacers on the front of my GTV to allow for the 7" wide rims clear the tie rod ends.
I've had no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
On an Alfa if you move the wheels too far out it definitely affects the steering feel and handling. They lose the beautiful light steering feel.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
21,374 Posts
I've used them for brake caliper clearance once or twice, and when a wheel stud wasn't threaded far enough down for a thin wheel. At 5mm or less, I didn't notice any difference in feel, but I'm not Mario Andretti either.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Many 105 race cars have wider wheel spacing to improve handling, not looks. But if you want your car to look more like a racer........

·
Registered
649 Posts
I run 25 mm spacers on my 84 spider, you bolt the spacers to the hub, then you bolt the wheels to the spacer, they are made by H&R, billet alum. I run 206/50/16 on my car, 7" rims, 33 mm offset.. works well for me.. yes heavy sterring at low <5 mph, but that because of the low profile tires and 205 size, but at highway/road speed . works great.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I run 25 mm spacers on my 84 spider, you bolt the spacers to the hub, then you bolt the wheels to the spacer, they are made by H&R, billet alum. I run 206/50/16 on my car, 7" rims, 33 mm offset.. works well for me.. yes heavy sterring at low road speed . works great.
Do you have photos? I tried a similar combo once on my Spider and it hit the front fender going into a driveway. It did look great however.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
Will send photos Tuesday, I also up rated my front springs to 1150 inch pounds, from speedway motors, 9x5.5 inch springs,keeps me from bottom out

·
Registered
649 Posts
my car handles well..i can drive my friends alfa then mine, and not notice a diff. just more grip, my friend drove my car, he had no idea I had spacers on the front end.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Spacers do increase the loads on the wheel bearings a little because of the increased moment arm for the tire loads. The thicker the spacer, the higher the loads become.

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
I thought that positive scrub angle reduced low speed steering effort since turning the steering wheel causes the tire to roll rather than twist on a fixed spot. I would expect that the effects of changing the scrub angle depend upon what it is before you change it, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert on this.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
in theory you would think yes but factoring in the caster and king pin inclination its quite the opposite. it increases the distance from the steering axis so the tire rotates around that point increases the "scurb" or efforts because couple with the caster it want to lift the one side of the front end and drop the other side.

ever sat in a stationary go kart and and tried to turn the full lock wheel? its harder to do that in a 350lb kart than a gtv that weighs 7 or 8x more! that because its has extreme positive scrub radius intentional dialed in. The SR offset is even greater than the diameter of the tire. the desired effect is to lifts up the inside rear wheel clean of the ground at full lock. thats how they get away with using a solid axle with no diff otherwise in slow corner otherwise it'll bind like a locker axle on a 105 racer in the paddocks. we had to teach carol smith that! haha.

anyhow early 930 turbos just uses 911 components and simply (cheaply) added a giant 21mm spacer to push the 911 wheels outboard to fill out the widebody. its the same suspension, pickup points and tire size as the 911s. but the turbo guys would be huffing and puffing after parallel parking. you can remove the spacers and feel how much lighter the steering feels, with less kick back.

with the 964 they design in the suspension geo properly with generous positive offset wheels, reduce scrub radius. On the widebody turbos they relocated the entire suspension outboard 25mm per side by moving the subframes, mounting them to an alternate set of mounting bosses on the body and reversing the offset strut top mounts. this elevated all the issues with spacers. only changes from the narrow body to a wide body suspension wise is a low cost steering link to the wider placement of the steering arms.... brilliant. but the 964 wheels will never look as cool as the deep dished gtam wheels!

all the best

·
Premium Member
13,494 Posts
Thanks for that great explanation.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Del, if you have the correct offset on the rims, the bearing load is the same, if on the other hand put rims on with less offset, the loads will be higher.i don't have this on hand, but let's say the oem 6 inch wide rim has a 25 mm offset, and you get, like in my case, 7 inch wide rims and the offset is 45 mm, it's pretty much a wash.i needed the room to clear 12.19 inch vented disk and brembo/ Porsche 997 type 4 pot calipers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts