Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a regular set of wheels for a 71 gtv.
The Panasports that I have on are great at speed but I can't park without a full work-out and the car isn't as nimble as it could be.
Anyone please able to tell me the size of the original steel wheels?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
wheel is 14x5.5
original'ish tyre size is 185/70 14 (original is actually closer to 165/75, but they are hard to get)

·
Registered
620 Posts
And correct me if I'm wrong but if you use original wheels you cannot go tubeless? At least when I tried, I had constant slow leaks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Incorrect. I am running original wheels in both of mine, no leaks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
And with tubeless tires, sorry.

·
Registered
620 Posts
tubeless

News to me. Thanks. I believe these wheels were designed for tubes. If mine won't hold air without them, is there any drawback (performance-wise) in using them with modern tires?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input on this. Much appreciated.
I shall try to get skinnier tyres on my panasports as a first option and then see what happens.
Does anyone else here have the same 'hard to steer' issue?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am unaware of any performance problems due to tubeless tires. On the contrary, I would be surprised if there are no advantages to tubeless performance-wise.

I have 185/70 14 on both of my GTVs. I was told that it is the optimal size that provides some handling improvement without being too much tire for the car (even though the suspension is very strong and the added stress would not be too much).

As a side note, I have wire wheels on my '69 MGB GT, which only take tubed tires, and occasionally I find one of the tires deflated. Simply inflating it back solves the problem.

-Dima

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I think "hard to steer" is tough to define. It's very personal. I've had a GTV since 1969 so I'm used to no power steering. I'm running 205/60X14 on 7" Panasports and I don't find it hard to park. You need two hands to turn the wheel but I don't work up a sweat :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
I am unaware of any performance problems due to tubeless tires. On the contrary, I would be surprised if there are no advantages to tubeless performance-wise.
-Dima
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking whether tubeless tires are inferior in any way. I was just wondering if there is any drawback to using tubes in tubeless tires on original steel wheels. But I think you answered my question. Thanks again.
John

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
My wheels don't get any more original (considering I had the factory tires and tubes when I got the car) and they hold air just fine. Running tubes is just heavier in a really bad place (rotational unsprung weight is the absolute worst place to gain weight)

just my $.02

Will

·
Registered
380 Posts
Kribensis, do you have a stock steering wheel? My spiders steering was hard with a little Personal brand steering wheel to PO installed. Even with 205 Yokos the stock steering wheel provided lots more leverge. Not too hard to park.

dimatda, how do the MGBGT compare to the GTV?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Tubeless tyres should only be run when the wheels have safety beads - little hump that helps to stop the tyre from separating from the rim. To my knowledge, std 105 steel rims do not have safety beads (at least my 72 didn't), therefore I have alway run tubes.

Steering wheel size and location makes a huge difference - I am a big fan of not less than 380mm and located with a spacer so it is close emough to my chest that an extended arm can drape the wrist over the top of the rim without lifting shoulder from the seat (ie pretty **** close).

Camber and caster will also influence steering weight (ie more of each is good for handling and good for arm workout)

·
Registered
69 Posts
[ie zQUOTE=kribensis;397621]I need to get a regular set of wheels for a 71 gtv.
The Panasports that I have on are great at speed but I can't park without a full work-out and the car isn't as nimble as it could be.
Anyone please able to tell me the size of the original steel wheels?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

What size are the panasports and tyres youre running?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just got some Michelin 165 HR 14 tires and tubes from Coker Tire to go on a set of original steel wheels and I am fired up!!! Can't wait to drive her!! Light, nimble, loose, (unsafe?), should be fun. 5 tires and tubes with shipping to California cost $1100, ouch, but I am a little bored with the 185/195/205 sizes I've had in the past...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I just got some Michelin 165 HR 14 tires and tubes from Coker Tire to go on a set of original steel wheels and I am fired up!!! Can't wait to drive her!! Light, nimble, loose, (unsafe?), should be fun. 5 tires and tubes with shipping to California cost $1100, ouch, but I am a little bored with the 185/195/205 sizes I've had in the past...

ohhh, cookie cutters - that will be interesting. Don't be a tease, pictures and feedback are necessary!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have 6 inch wheels with 195/65 r14 (pirelli p600's) and the steering wheel is 14 1/2" diameter (36.5 cms).
Both were from the PO...who used it for track days I believe.

I usually put 28/30 lbs of pressure in the front otherwise it feels like I'm trying to turn a steam roller.
However it does have a lot of grip, just seems to want to go its own way a bit at low speeds.

How narrow can I go with tyres on the 6" wheels? or do I get a larger diameter steering wheel?..

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Maybe check the wheel align as 195/65 is not an outrageous size at all. You can go down to 185 without any drama on a 6 inch rim. Any less than that might be an issue (tyre makers spec min and max width for each model tyre)

Your wheel is pretty sensibly sized.

Ball joints and tie rod ends can also play a part if not all good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have 6 inch wheels with 195/65 r14 ( pirelli p600's) and the steering wheel is 14 1/2" diameter.
Both were from the PO...who used it for track days I believe.

I usually put 28/30 lbs of pressure in the front otherwise it feels like I'm trying to turn a steam roller.
However it does have a lot of grip, just seems to want to go its own way a bit at low speeds.

How narrow can I go with tyres on the 6" wheels? or do I get a larger diameter steering wheel?..
Your tyre size isnt excessively wide. I was expecting you to say you had 205 60`s on 15" rims. I had the same size tyres on my 74 GTV and from memory the steering wasnt too bad at low speeds or parking. Could there be some other problem with the steering?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bill..I think the issue might be the steering wheel.
the steering has been checked out.
The original steering wheel was considerably larger if I recall from my other gtvs..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts