Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently restoring an 82 Ti. The alloy wheels are looking a bit tired. Does anyone know what paint or finish has been applied as original to the alloy wheels? I would like to redo them.
Thanks for any info.
tired father, 2 sons and 3 suds

·
Registered
755 Posts
The rims were originally just painted silver by the factory. Probably best to media blast the rims to get them smooth and then paint them. You can do it quite cheaply by buying a matching silver in a spray can and painting them yourself. Best results would be to undercoat, then colour then a clear, that would look great.

Alternatively you could get them 2 packed by a paint shop for a slightly more durable finish, then theres powdercoating aswell. Lots of options.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm keen on getting advice on this as well, but regarding the grey steel wheels on a series 1??

slackmanor, I know that a -lot- of restorers use the BMW alloy paint, though it isn't original...

·
Registered
418 Posts
A follow-up:

Having looked closely at the wheels of my 'Sud, I have realised that they are actually painted with some sort of metallic paint, whereas I thought they were flat grey, as the spare wheel is!

Does anyone have any information on which colour would match this tone? I will be refurbishing the steel rims this fall/winter, would like it to be original. Or, should I simply ask a painter to try and match it?

BR,
Troels.

PS: The BMW colour I mentioned in the previous post is called "Polaris Silver".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts