Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the inner bearing and oil seal on the wheel hub. I drove the seal in as far as it would go and it looks ok but there is about a 5mm gap between the seal and the bearing. I think this is normal, but wanted to sanity check. Appreciate your reply...

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
You want it flush with the edge of the hub.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim and Andrew. I'm using Centric part# 417.46009 which seems to fit perfectly. The only difference with the original is that it seems to have a rubber coating so that the coating adds like 1 mm over the end of the hub after its been fully seated.

I checked the original seal in my other hub and when its flush it also has about 5mm between the bearing and the rubber part of the inside of the seal, so maybe this is normal (maybe the gap is there for thermal expansion?).

I've attached a photo...

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The lip on the seal rides on the large, machined surface at the base of the spindle. It is not designed to be in contact with the bearing.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for confirming Jim.

I can now understand why tightening the castellated nut is something you feel. The manual does a good job to formalize this procedure but then you get what needs to happen...loose enough to turn easily and allow a little looseness in the outer washer but tight enough to not have any play on the spindle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts