Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea to get a wheel alignment whenever you get new tires?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Yes. Only toe is adjustable but it's a good time to get it checked.

Having said that, if the worn out tires show no abnormal wear that's the best indication that the alignment is still perfect. Your tire supplier should be able to explain the wear on the old tires if it is abnormal. If you rotated your tires as recommended and wear is the same and normal looking on all four worn tires you take off then alignment has to be correct. The exception is if alignment is just going out of spec before you change to new tires.

Since only toe is adjustable that's the only setting that can go out of specification. Toe wear is quite distinctive, the edge of the tread wears too fast, outside edge for excessive toe in and inside edge for excessive toe out. Not sure about front suspension alignment since the Giulia uses double A arm and not McPherson strut at the front. Basically any alignment issue at the front end usually throws the steering wheel off centre. Rear suspension out of specification can also affect steering wheel position.

On the front tires toe equalizes (and your steering wheel often goes off center ) so abnormal wear should show on both front tires in similar appearance. On rear tires toe can go out on each individual wheel by different amounts so each tire may show a different uneven wear. However, unequal rear toe generates a side thrust force which should also throw your steering wheel off centre. Equal toe abnormality in rear suspension would be remarkably rare but would normally affect chassis stability under hard acceleration or heavy braking.

If you know what to look for you can avoid paying for alignment checking. If you aren't sure you can tell if the alignment is out then it's fairly cheap insurance against premature tire wear on your new set.

If you change out tires twice per year, as I do for winter, then checking each set regularly for unusual wear patterns helps me decide when to have the alignment checked. For McPherson strut suspension that tends to be never since once the car has been run in and the alignment then checked and adjusted by someone competent to do this it rarely goes out of spec after that. My 164 only gets aligned if the suspension is taken apart for any reason. Otherwise, never.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would drive it first with the new tires and see how it feels. If you are happy with it then maybe leave well enough alone. Not all alignments are done right and I have had experiences where I did not like how it drove after having the alignment done and regretted it.

Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
I don't feel this is necessary unless you are having an issue. I have never done an alignment after putting new tires on. I agree, see how it drives with new tires. Are you getting different tires than before? Non-OEM that came with the Giulia?
If you're sticking with same sizing, honestly I would not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
There is more than just toe that is adjustable. If tire wear is even and the car drives great then leave well enough alone. That being said there is a certain amount of well being that comes with a fresh alignment and you get a before and after printout of the alignment settings.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Only toe is adjustable at the rear axle. This is now common with multilink mounted to subframes.

At the front I'm not aware whether there is also any adjustment for camber or steering angle,

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New tires installed yesterday.

No alignment was needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts