Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1989 Spider Veloce (which I haven't owned for very long, I might add) has developed a strange problem.

When I press on the gas pedal, it feels like something is "slipping". In other words, I can see the tach jump up, and feel the engine rev up, but the car accelerates much more slowly than it should.

While it's slipping, if I press and depress the gas pedal a quickly a couple of times, I can sometimes get it to "catch", at which point it accelerates normally.

I'm not positive about this, but it seems to do this more in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears than in 1st or second.

What could be wrong?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Welcome to the board alfagator!

You may be able to adjust the clutch in order to regain some of the clutch plate's grip. If it works, it'd be a temporary fix as the symptoms point to the need for a clutch replacement. Accelerate gingerly until you do get the clutch replaced.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I wouldn't drive the car if the clutch was slipping very much at all. A slipping clutch can cause a huge heat buildup on the flywheel face and could damage it if it got hot enough . . . meaning more $$$ than just a pressure plate, clutch disk and throw-out bearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts