Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1989 Spider Veloce (which I haven't owned for very long, I might add) has developed a strange problem.

When I press on the gas pedal, it feels like something is "slipping". In other words, I can see the tach jump up, and feel the engine rev up, but the car accelerates much more slowly than it should.

While it's slipping, if I press and depress the gas pedal a quickly a couple of times, I can sometimes get it to "catch", at which point it accelerates normally.

I'm not positive about this, but it seems to do this more in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears than in 1st or second.

What could be wrong?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Welcome to the AlfaBB, alfagator!
Sounds like that "something slipping" is your clutch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any hints as to what part of the clutch might be the culprit?
Also, how big a job is it to replace the clutch in this car?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yes, welcome alfagator!

I know about slipping clutches. I lived with mine slipping for about six months. Everyone around here probably got tired of me whining about it. :D

First off, you might be able to adjust the clutch and regain some of its adhesion. Hopefully someone will chime in on how it's adjusted in your car. My old GTV has a clutch cable. Yours is hydraulically actuated.

As for what part is the culprit, I'd say most likely the clutch disc has simply worn down. To replace a clutch, the transmission can be removed (dropped from under the car) but it is an involved process. Others recommended that I have mine done by an Alfa professional (thank you Santo). The other method is to remove the engine and transmission as a whole.

The clutch disc, pressure plate and throw-out bearing should all be replaced. Even though it's probably just a worn disc, you don't want to pay to have someone go back in there (or do the work yourself again).

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I agree with all above. Here is my 2 bits on doing it at home. I believe there is a special procedure to follow when it comes to the bosch and later spiders in regards to clutch replacement. Seems like it has to do with alignment for the crank sensors or something to that end that must be done when replacing a clutch to get the car to fire correctly after installation. So if you attempt it, get a manual.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah the 82-89 Spiders with Bosch L-Jetronic have sensors on the flywheel so have your mechanic mark the position of the flywheel so it goes back in the same position. Otherwise she won't run and everyone will be sitting around scratching their heads.

Hopefully you'll be able to take it to an Alfa shop and they already know.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Whew glad I read this one!

Not far from swapping out the clutch on my '88 and would have been really pissed to do all that and then screw it up by not maintaining the alignment...thanks for the tip

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved.

Yep, that was the problem. My spider now has a new clutch disc, pressure plate and throw-out bearing.

I didn't feel up to the task of doing the work myself (have never pulled an engine before, and didn't think now was a good time to learn), so I had a local shop recommended by some of the folks at the local AROC club do the work.

While he was in there, he also had the flywheel reconditioned, and replaced the rear main oil seal (which was leaking).

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this.

Of course, I had him check out the whole car while I had it in. The good news is that the car is in very good shape.

The bad news is that it needs a ball joint and inner tie rod. Can anyone recommend whether these are things I should be attempting to repair myself? or do they involve dismantling half the car to get to?

Thanks again

·
Registered
486 Posts
alfagator,

How many hours labor did your mechanic charge to do the clutch job?

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts