Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on resetting the Airbag indicator light on my 91' Spider. In the housing behind the passenger seat I noticed a red button attached to the side wall. I'll post pics soon but I thought someone might be able to enlighten me on its purpose even without a pic.

Also, I've read the outline on resetting the Airbag indicator light. While watching the light flash for the code sequence(after applying the jumper) I'm having an issue noticing a sequence. My question is, how apparent are the sequence of flashes. I'm watching the light for a break but it seems so insignificant of a flash difference that I think it may be my mind playing tricks. Was it very obvious for everyone else that has had success with this or am I doing something wrong?

Steps I'm aware of:
1. Apply jumper to Black and Blue/Black wire
2. Turn key but do not start.
3. Indicator light should begin sequence 1.2-1.2-1.2 then a difference sequence depending on the code ultimately going back to 1.2-1.2-1.2
4. Once it returns to the last sequence, pull jumper for exactly 3 seconds.
5. After 3 seconds reapply the jumper.
6. After and additional 3 seconds pull jumper again and then quickly pull the key and wait 10 seconds before checking the result.

Thank you all who take the time to help me out!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,873 Posts
Red button is to pull the check engine codes. Details here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-management/136752-motronic-help-needed-90-spider-grad.html

Lots of info on the airbag test/reset procedure here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...old-posting-reseting-airbag-light-spider.html

It should be pretty obvious where the pauses are. 1-2 should be

flash - pause - flash flash - pause

repeated three times. After that, you'll get whatever codes are stored in the same manner. Most likely some subset of 15, 16, 25, or 26.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Looks like those instructions should work well. I found it's more like TWO actual seconds than Three. At least on mine.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Oh, I think you should basically get this, with the jumper attached, key intially turned on:

1) Solid red
2) Light goes out, blinks twice, back out
3) Long sustained red

That's one sequence - the next sequences will repeat 2,3. You need to pull that jumper when the light blinks in sequence 2, reattach jumper after 2-3 seconds, etc.

Those instructions are right. You also will want to go up to the air bag connectors in the front of the car and clean them.

Basically, it's like playing some really bad old school video game. You just have to get it just right, and when you do, it will work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts