Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what this pipe outlet is for on my '69 1750.

Presumably it's some sort of breather or drain pipe - and if so do I just hang the other end of the pipe down the side of the engine until it reaches the level of the sump???

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
8,021 Posts
vent

a tube runs from it to the oil breather/separator mounted to the fender beside the air filter.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Not on Mine!

Hi, have a very original 69 roundtail spider and have no such connection coming off my valve cover vent line. Photo attached. Do you have a Spica or carbs? On a Spica car, the 1" (or so) vapor line goes straight to the oil/vapor venturi separator unit up front. The large connection off that separator goes into the underside of air box with vapor; the small nipple off that goes to the nipple on the dipstick connection with return oil. Your hose seems to go backwards to what? If it goes to the airbox or intake, you'd not need that small nipple as it's not sending oil liquid as there is no separator. Curious. :confused:

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Since AlfaLofa is in Scotland, my take is that this Alfa probably has carbs. If so, the small fitting (arrow) has a hose that goes to a fitting on the #1 cylinder intake runner just above the distributor. It is part of the Euro emission system. These cars do not have oil separators.
The large hose going 'backwards' connects to the top of the airbox.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Yea, I figured out later that he had carbs with that tube going back, but what is he little nipple and tube for functionally?

I had carbs on a '69 Berlina (big 45 DCOE's) and the valve cover breather tube (off the oil filler cap) just ran down to air. No one smogging in CA seemed to know the setup at the time so it passed. I later changed it back to Spica. Sure toned down the roar!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
At idle, a small amount of the engine blowby gases are routed through the small hose and burned in cylinder #1. When the throttles open, the gases flow through the large hose, into the airbox and are burned in all cylinders.
Found a pic of the #1 cylinder intake fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, all your deductions are correct - the car does have Webers.

I found the small pipe union on the No. 1 intake and fitted a suitable pipe.

The car is gradually coming together - with considerable help from the BB and the dozens of photos I've copied to my hard drive of engine bays, floor pans, suspension, etc.

The multitude of differences in the cars for different markets and the many design changes introduced during the production run mean that there aren't all that many photos which directly relate to my car - i.e. RHD, Weber, single servo roundtail.

Mind you when everything comes together it will be good to get the car back on the road.

I bought the spider in 1976, ran her for a couple of years before taking her off the road due to head gasket failure. Then (in about 1980) I took the car apart - leaving just a rolling chassis. The engine was eventually rebuilt in 2006 and at the same time I started putting everything back together. I've now just about finished the engine bay and suspension, brakes and fuel supply. The interior is coming back together - just got to recover the seats, fit the shift gaiter and a new soft top.

Without the BB I would have really struggled - so I will continue to ask dim questions when the need arises!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your questions prompts another. On my 72 GTV 2000, the same "breather exists, tho the "hose" is actually a thin piece of metal pipe. I need to replace the gasket on this "breather", but can't find one anywhere...perhaps because I don't know what this thing is really called?

Any help?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts