Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every1, driving the other day and smelled gas. Got home and opened good and saw oil under hood (see pic). Upon inspection it seemed to be caused by a loose hose clamp. Can someone tell what that part is? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
That is the return line for your fuel rail.... FIRE! That oil on the hood is being thrown there from the fan. Lots of times it is from an improper seal at the oil filler cap...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sounds like two different issues. Wrong type of clamp on the fuel line, need fuel injection clamp (seals better). Is the VVT leaking oil?

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Given the leaking fuel, which is a potential fire issue, I would replace all of the fuel lines. What you are showing in your photos is the fuel supply line, but you should also replace the fuel return line, which attaches to the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator at the forward end of the fuel rail.

If you look at the front of the engine, you may be able to get a better look at where the oil is leaking. Oil doesn't travel through rubber hoses on this engine, so the oil will be leaking from some seal on the front of the engine. As @alfabeach said, it may be from the VVT, which has a plunger that extends through the cam cover. It is sealed by a small o-ring that goes around the plunger shaft and that is held in place by a small steel plate under the VVT mounting bracket.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. The oil seemed to be from that loose hose on the pic. I need to check leak VVT, can someone post a pic of how that looks like? The possibility of Fire is worrying! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Thanks all. The oil seemed to be from that loose hose on the pic. I need to check leak VVT, can someone post a pic of how that looks like? The possibility of Fire is worrying! Thanks.
As mentioned, that hose carries fuel not oil.

You still have an oil leak somewhere.

I recommend that you clean down the engine and hood. Purchase an oil leak dye kit. You add the dye to your oil, run the engine and then with an ultra violet light provided in the kit, you can determine where the leak is coming from. Its invaluable in my opinion for finding leaks.

Good luck.

Vin

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Given that location for the oil thrown up onto the hood, I would highly suspect the VVT actuator on the front of the intake cam. Start the motor, rev it slightly, and carefully feel under the VVT solenoid/actuator for oil drops. The cooling fan is blowing it up onto the hood. As a second suspect, check the hoses into the oil vapor separator, just above the distributor.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Mine was a leaking valve cover gasket. I have a '67 so it doesn't have the 2 front bolts on the valve cover. The gasket slipped out just a little and the fan sprayed it all over the engine apartment. What a mess!!!! I feel your pain. Oil leaks are messy, but they get real messy when the fan is involved.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine was a leaking valve cover gasket. I have a '67 so it doesn't have the 2 front bolts on the valve cover. The gasket slipped out just a little and the fan sprayed it all over the engine apartment. What a mess!!!! I feel your pain. Oil leaks are messy, but they get real messy when the fan is involved.
Thanks, I'll find out next week when I work on her.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had that problem, it was a nick in the oil vapor hoaw from dipstick to the vapor recovery chamber. The fan sucked up the vapor escaping from the nick and blowing it up on the underside of hood.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I had that problem, it was a nick in the oil vapor hoaw from dipstick to the vapor recovery chamber. The fan sucked up the vapor escaping from the nick and blowing it up on the underside of hood.
These cars have soooooooooo many possible oil leak areas and I think I have chased them all.

That is why I highly recommend the oil leak detection kit dye. Saves so much time.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
A year or so ago our '85 spider had the same conditions, oil being blown by the fan from a leak somewhere on the front of the engine. It was the VVT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts