Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What's the secret - Pod Speedo Cable

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tifosi 
#1 ·
Needing to replace my speedo cable on my '82 Spider, I've easily removed the end from the tranny (Where the cable broke about 2" in) but now need to to remove the end from the speedo itself. What's the secret? I see a small nut and washer at the base of the speedo??:confused: BTW: I have a single cable set up. Perhaps the previous owner changed out the two cable type? I ordered a single cable from IAP for an 1981 Spider because they spec a two cable set up for the '82. I haven't received it yet - I hope it will work as a replacement. Any help understanding how to remove the cable will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I parted out an 82 spider earlier this year and it had a single speedo cable. In fact, I probably still have it. The speedo hood is held on by a single screw. The hood slides off towards you. The speeedo head is attached to the base of the pod with two screws. Remove the nut from the odometer reset button and the speedo head can be pulled out enough to disconnect the cable.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
88 Verde

#3 ·
The single cable is a very adiquate replacement for the dual cable setup. You may even find you have the guide hook for a single cable on the steering gearbox.

You'll likely want to pull the firewall grommet the cable sleeve goes through right out of the firewall until the new cable sleeve is in place. (or you can swear at it for an hour while trying to get the old one out and the new one in)

For the few I've done, I found that with the grommet out and feeding the sleeve in from the firewall end then loosely connecting it there before doing any other routing or connection is about the easiest. (for me)

Oh, yeah, take the cable out of the sleeve before install as it'll just get in the way while you're trying to route it in. That and it gives a good way to find too shapr bends (cable won't slip easily back into the sleeve) and it's also a great excuse to lube it up before slipping it back in.

Unless you unhook the wires on the odometer box thingy under the hood, don't forget that a stout bump can make the 'exh sensor' light come on in the console and then make you wonder for days how to turn it off. (if you don't know about the button in that box and/or leave the wires connected)

#4 ·
Wow, what great help you guys! Thank you so much. I'm off to my shiop now to give your advice a try. I post back on how it went!! Got to get her ready for the Italiano in Pebble Beach!! She's not a show car (yet) but the parking is better if you enter!! :)

#5 ·
As a last gasp note:

You'll find the new cable sleeve has a rubber o-ring on the outside of it. (sometimes 2)

You'll want that at the speedo nut end as it's used to keep the nut from slipping back up the cable (and completely out of reach) when installing the sleeve.

Watch that you don't knock the wires off the little gray alarm boxes on the top/side of the steering column as one they have 12v going to one side with either the door or the key (as in 'potential short') and two, your seatbelt and/or key in the ignition alarm won't function if they are disconnected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.