Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know this big range with many variables...but my trany screams like a banchi in second gear over 5 miles I've driven her before the clutch pedal pivot broke. Just saw one on craigslist for $250. It's out of the car so no telling what shape it's in. Seller is asking $250..What's a fair price for a "pig in poke"!!?? Mine's an 89 sellers is an 85, any interchange problems?? Just for my FYI..what's ball part for a transmission rebuild (I deliver trany to shop)? Thanks in Advance Paul

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Know this big range with many variables...but my trany screams like a banchi in second gear over 5 miles I've driven her before the clutch pedal pivot broke. Just saw one on craigslist for $250. It's out of the car so no telling what shape it's in. Seller is asking $250..What's a fair price for a "pig in poke"!!?? Mine's an 89 sellers is an 85, any interchange problems?? Just for my FYI..what's ball part for a transmission rebuild (I deliver trany to shop)? Thanks in Advance Paul
Hi Paul,

I would say any used Spider gearbox/bellhousing assembly would be worth $200, possibly $300.

A completely rebuild Spider transmission goes for $1,200 to $2,000.

If I were going through the trouble of pulling a bad transmission (which I am), I certainly wouldn't replace it with an unknown (because you may end up with something worse). I would at least open up the one I was putting in and take a look at the workings inside.

Decent-looking used gearboxes (and ones reported to have been removed from running Spiders) are going for between $500 and $800 (plus $150-$200 shipping) on ebay. And many of those could need rebuilding, too.

Since my transmission has begun spitting out pieces of metal, and has no 2nd gear synchro, I am currently in the process of removing it. As such, I am also in the market for a reasonably priced used gearbox for parts (or as a replacement). If I could find one in my neck of the woods for $250, albeit a "pig-in-a-poke", I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

Ciao,

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I know that new synchos, sliders, bearings and seals cost about $1,100.00 and does not include the labor to rebuild the transmission. I would rather have the transmission rebuilt than buy one and have to rebuild it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
This saturday I am removing the engine and transmission from a 1974. It has been well cared for and maintained by Nasko, the local Alfa mechanic. I was about to advertise it on CL for $250 but I'd sell on the BB for $200.

Problem, and I know this from recent experience, your train (Amtrak) station does not accept packages on a pallet. I suppose forward air could be used, let me know the best way to ship.

Robert
503-267-2800
PS, car reads 77K miles, and from the rust free condition of the body, even here in rainy Portland, I believe the milage to be true.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
This saturday I am removing the engine and transmission from a 1974. It has been well cared for and maintained by Nasko, the local Alfa mechanic. I was about to advertise it on CL for $250 but I'd sell on the BB for $200.

Problem, and I know this from recent experience, your train (Amtrak) station does not accept packages on a pallet. I suppose forward air could be used, let me know the best way to ship.

Robert
503-267-2800
PS, car reads 77K miles, and from the rust free condition of the body, even here in rainy Portland, I believe the milage to be true.
Hi Robert,

You have my attention. I can drive to Portland in a few hours, or since my company has a branch warehouse in NE Portland with forklifts and pallets, shipping methods are not a major concern.

But why, may I ask, are you removing the engine and transmission from your '74 (if they are in good condition)?

And are you selling both of them, or just the gearbox?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts
I have shipped gearboxes by UPS. When Richard Jemison rebuilt my gearbox we used UPS both ways. I don't remember the cost but it was reasonable.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you read the engine conversion section of the BB, you might be familiar with my previous car, the SuperSpider that was in an accident. I bought this one from a gent who was getting shipped out to China and traded it for cash and wine.

Now, armed with a 1974, I never need to worry about DEQ in Oregon or any other state.

The engine comes with side draught weber 40s. That intake and carbs have been promised to someone else. The rest of the engine is available but it been my experience that 2.0 Alfa motors are a dime a dozen around here. That Astoria Bob guy always seems to have one for sale.

How about helping me wrench saturday?? The car is in a rental co-op work place in Beaverton. I'm parked between a MG TD and a weird Porsche 914 race thing. I provide the burgers and pinot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Also, not like I've struck a deal with anyone. If anyone wants the engine/trannie combo minus the carbs and intake, make me an offer I can't say no to. Include wine or scotch to really raise my interest.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Putting alittle more meat on the bones of this thread

Thanks to "alfaparticle", I've got more info on shipping Transmissions. They weigh 60ish pounds, without the bell housing, are UPS/FedX shippable ( FedX estimated $47 ground Dallas to Phoenix) are cardboard packable, and from PMs """

azALFAowl said:
Sorry Ed, but I'm back..
(I admit I've never seen an Alfa Trany sitting outside the car before. but my general knowledge has me thinking..)
Thinking about wrapping a trany for shipping, with the bell housing off; how do we protect the input shaft from getting bent if she gets dropped? With my luck it would be a hit and bend on the shaft!!!
Thanks Again
Paul
[/QUOTE]

alfaparticle said:
I think that I wrapped the input shaft with a lot of cardboard until it was a similar diameter to the case. You could cut a piece of plywood to a similar size as the case and cut a hole for the end of the driveshaft if you wanted to be extra careful. The input shaft is a substantial piece of steel!

THANKS ED!!!
FYI to all who might stumble on this thread in the future!!
Paul = azALFAowl

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would love to help you wrench BUT!!!!

Phoenix is a long way away!!!
You'd have to pay airfare AND let me sleep with the Alfa!!
To a rookie, like me, that's some engine swap!!!!
Can a standard Alfa transmission stand up to all that extra power??
What's the engine out of? a 164?
Bet one does get some G's on acceleration...what a hoot
I'll miss working with ya
Enjoy the Pinot!!
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a ZF with dog-leg shift pattern that was mated to a 2.5. The new project is getting a 3.0 24V. From those who have done the conversion before, APE makes a bellhousing that mates the 105 transmission with a 2.5 or 3.0 motor. Sounds like they are stout enough, but since I already own the ZF, I will stick with it.
PS, no one has actually said the words, "Robert, I want that/those." so one or both are still up for grabs.

·
Richard Jemison
7,382 Posts
Shipping transmissions

Typically the input shaft won`t get damaged, but never ship a trans without a transmission mount in the low aluminum ring. UPS will break it unless reinforced with the mount. Still pad that area well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A howl sounds like a scream!!!

what do you mean' screams like bianchi'?:confused::taz:
For an accurate description we'll have to wait till I get my pivot shaft and slave cylinder replaced!!!
But from my 5 miles of experience, it's a high pitched grind, mostly in second and I've learned to let go of the shift lever as pressure (down ward,,,in the engagement of the shift direction) it makes the "grind" worse.
I think there's a new trany in my future!!!
Paul
89 Spider

1 - 18 of 18 Posts