Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally sent my 67 Spider to the bodyshop to get the outer rockers replaced and repaint (some bozo keyed my car a few years ago).

I thought since everything needs to get stripped anyway, this would be a good time to get stuff re-chromed.

What's actually chrome (vs s steel?). The door handles and the strips on the trunk ledge that the hard top clips into?

Any recommendations for chrome shops in the Chicagoland area?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Also the pieces at the top rear of the door openings that cover the sharp edges where the body panels are welded together. This is also where the convertable top boot clips in.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
B pillar caps and Gas filler lid opening tab Inside door pull on drivers side and door handles and window cranks on the inside. Also the metal tabs on the sun visors and the ring around the inside mirror.. The mounting rings on the 3 instrument gauges as well as the
Gauge rings. ashtray seat belt buckles Emergency brake pull Shifter lever Head light and bright stalk Levers for choke and idle Inside door closing mechanism

On the rear boot attachment bars make sure you send the 4 screws (phillips)

·
Registered
589 Posts
re-chroming gets real expensive real fast....
I did the gas cap pull, the outter door handles, the antennae bezel, the b piller caps.
It was cheaper for me to buy repro inner driver's door pull, window cranks and inner door openers (they are not 100% correct, but for the cost it was OK with me).

·
chiuso per ferie
11,758 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, no question that the re-chromed pieces are far nicer than the re-production. And it is def the pitted pieces that run up the costs. Real steel doesn't pit like pot metal.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Just got my pieces back from the chrome shop - what a difference!

Before:

After:

Nick,
Those look fantastic!
I need to have my handles and the top of trunk pieces chromed too. May I ask where you sent them, how long they had them and the cost.
You can PM me if you like.

Thanks,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, those pics have motivated me to think about chrome for my own build. In the headlamp assembly there is a retaining ring that clamps the headlamp into the metal bowl. I think that is all of the chrome in the Euro setup. The trim rings that fit into the body are stainless.

·
chiuso per ferie
11,758 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts