Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed my 94 164LS has rear control arms are scraping with body beam.
So I decided to looked at my 92 164S which is nor scrping yet.
It turns out the 92 164S has one side almost scrpaing too.

What's causing the scraping? Bushing?
It is as if the logitudal arms has lengthened!

See pictures below:

92 164S, Almost scraping, 1mm left

92 164S, Not yet SCRAPING

94 164LS, Scraping...

94 164LS, Scraping...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You've either got worn trailing arm bushes, or the rear control arms are bent from an impact with something (or someone's driven up a gutter).

Many times this has happened because someone towed or pulled car by control arms.
Or that too - Looking at the pictures close to the shock absorbers on the LS... There does look to be a shiney patch on the opposite side that should be scraping

·
Registered
285 Posts
My daughter's 164 had them bent from a shop that improperly jacked the car up and bent both at the same time. It ruined her tires, so better get them fixed.

Mark

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I don't see anything bent though. I would guess a new set of bushings and a fresh 4 wheel alignment would sort it out. What else could it be? :confused:
Charles

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Many times this has happened because someone towed or pulled car by control arms.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
I noticed my 94 164LS has rear control arms are scraping with body beam.
So I decided to looked at my 92 164S which is nor scrping yet.
It turns out the 92 164S has one side almost scrpaing too.

What's causing the scraping? Bushing?
It is as if the logitudal arms has lengthened!

See pictures below:

To me it does not look bend from jack damage.
I can't really tell but I think your missing the proper spacer on the Hub side and that is why it is scrapping!
Actually when I look at it, it looks as thought he spacers are switched. The one spacer on the other arm should be where the scrapping arm is attached, I will get some pics to show.
Jason

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
As Jason states, there are different thickness spacers on the bolts which connect the vertical shock/struts to the hubs. These spacers determine the fore/aft location of the outboard end of the lateral arms. When the struts are worked on, it is important to get the proper spacers into the correct locations fore and aft of the hub. When I rebuilt the struts on my 164's, I measured the spacers and made a sketch of where they go.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
As Jason states, there are different thickness spacers on the bolts which connect the vertical shock/struts to the hubs. These spacers determine the fore/aft location of the outboard end of the lateral arms. When the struts are worked on, it is important to get the proper spacers into the correct locations fore and aft of the hub. When I rebuilt the struts on my 164's, I measured the spacers and made a sketch of where they go.
With further examination of the pictures I see that you are missing a spacer.

Always when removing parts I usually do something different from Del.
I remove the bolt and place the washers,spacers in order on the bolt and then thread the nut. This way they go back the same way they came off.

The spacer on that side is about 1/4 thick. Look at the other side and see.

Hard to tell but the spacer may be being used as the washer at the end where the nut is.

Jason

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has just being towed by a AAA tow turck. He secured the car on top of truck using hooks. The hooks probably grabbed on control arms! They don't looked bent but it only takes a little to cause scraping.

The bushing on control arms is original. If replaced the bushing, might as well replaced the control arms?

Karl

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
It has just being towed by a AAA tow turck. He secured the car on top of truck using hooks. The hooks probably grabbed on control arms! They don't looked bent but it only takes a little to cause scraping.

The bushing on control arms is original. If replaced the bushing, might as well replaced the control arms?

Karl
Is it both sides?

I would say Subframe is bent if spacers are good.

from the pictures the rods all look good.

Looks like you need a new subframe.
Bushings on rods don't really go bad that often to cause that much misalignment.

Jason

·
Premium Member
27,325 Posts
Is it both sides?

Bushings on rods don't really go bad that often to cause that much misalignment.

Jason
Trailing arm front bushings at body under rear doors not 4 longitudinal arms are ones that are probably bad as cross members looked pretty in pictures.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is sraping on 94 164LS on both sides.
It seems 92 164S has one spacer installed wrong, but it has no scraping yet.

Karl

Is it both sides?

Jason

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yeah, been to that movie before! My L was way obvious and a rubber mallet was needed. It looked like a PO had it stuck in a ditch or something since the arm was sorta V or U shaped. Mine was much more obvious than yours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts