Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Spent another Sunday working on the vapor blaster, with my buddy from the bay area. We plumbed up the air and slurry lines, testing them with the gun upon installation. We also made a cart for the cabinet and the eventual slurry tank. We dug through the boneyard and found something serviceable for slurry tank and cut it down to size.

It's time to get the pump...I thought I had one around somewhere, but the Lovely Donna informed me that I gave it away. Bummer. So, time to spec one out.

We're hoping to have a working system when he comes back on September 8th. I told him to bring some motorcycle parts to blast.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And...September 8th turns into September 29th. I hope to make a bunch of progress. I'll pick up a pump tomorrow, and we'll see how far we get on Sunday. Finding a pump I like has taken a bit more time. I want one that will pass solids, even if those solids are glass beads. I'm going to buy a Zoller 1/3 hp cast iron pump, and for once I'll buy the extended warranty! LOL

I'll have to set up the plumbing to bypass a good bit of the slurry back to the sump. 42 gallons per minute will certainly exceed my needs. But anything smaller than a 1/3 hp is pretty chintzy crap.

I epoxy painted the inside of the cabinet white, to help with lighting, and we're going to add a bunch of stick on LEDs to light it up well.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We operated the cabinet a weekend ago. Still trying to learn how to use it correctly. I configured a bypass mode for the pump, which we used to stir the glass bead in the sump. Without the bypass, the pump cavitates, and less media gets to the gun. I also stuck some cleaner in the water, thinking that it would be a way to keep the water from going sour, and that it would help cleaning the parts.

If you know who Rube Goldberg is, I must be a descendant.

We have a couple of things to adjust. My mechanic friend things we are being hindered by an overly restrictive regulator, and the 80 grit glass bead is too coarse.

Pictures:

$78 worth of fittings
$170 pump
The contraption, waiting for water and media
Cleaned LS coil cover.
Yep, that water has grunge in it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I didn't like the finish, so I though I'd hit the cover with 120 and 240 grit Nyalox brushes, mounted to my drill press. https://dicoproducts.com/products.php?gid=5

Brushed the script block and above, 80 below.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts