Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need another car like...nothing. (Current fleet was down to 3 Alfas, having sold a sedan a couple of years ago. Plus some american muscle and the current project, restoration of a rusty jeep FC150) But a friend in the motorcycle club asked if I wanted an alfa he sort of inherited. For $150 which is what he had paid in fees on the car. The only answer is yes.

I picked it up today. It is a 1974 red spider, 24,000 original miles, original tires, top has shrunk and won't close by a half inch, interior a little rough, but no rust at all. Missing the key, steering locked. Hasn't run in anyone's memory, but the engine compartment is remarkably clean.

Nothing like another project to fill those retired person days.

IMG_4634.JPG

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,640 Posts
Geez dude...$150 for a no rust '74? No way to pass that one up!

·
Super Moderator
11,783 Posts
Good for you! You probably have more space, now that you live out in the country.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's the beauty of retirement, time to do whatever you want, when you want. Good luck on your find.

·
Push hard and live
11,036 Posts
You say engine bay clean, but does it have the engine?

It cost me a ton to retrograde my 77 to the early (much lighter) bumpers, grille, and happier ride height. I’d say your Karma supply is well stocked!

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Don. Yes, spica engine complete and relatively clean. Dash complete but of course cracked. The possibilities are interesting as I do have a spare weber carb'ed 2 L which ran perfect when I did the v6 conversion to the stepnose plus a spare good transmission. Have to get the current jeep project weather tight so it can go outside for a while.

Reactions: Bjorn S

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
I need another car like...nothing. (Current fleet was down to 3 Alfas, having sold a sedan a couple of years ago. Plus some american muscle and the current project, restoration of a rusty jeep FC150) But a friend in the motorcycle club asked if I wanted an alfa he sort of inherited. For $150 which is what he had paid in fees on the car. The only answer is yes.

I picked it up today. It is a 1974 red spider, 24,000 original miles, original tires, top has shrunk and won't close by a half inch, interior a little rough, but no rust at all. Missing the key, steering locked. Hasn't run in anyone's memory, but the engine compartment is remarkably clean.

Nothing like another project to fill those retired person days.

View attachment 1668128
:)
You stole that car. What a find. Got any more pictures?
Hard to pass up.:)

·
Push hard and live
11,036 Posts
Neil,

I’m getting a lot of pleasure from my Spica Spider. You’re familiar with my 102 Webered 2300. You’ve not yet met my 99 916 GTV with Motronic.

These three starkly display the evolution of fuel and engine control technology. I enjoy them each in their own way, but the Spica system just does things, and makes noises, and communicates every combustion event so precisely. It’s like three sisters singing close harmony. I would never replace it with Webers. In fact, it is in the pole position to move with me to Colombia as the least painful way to enjoy an Alfa in the Andes.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don,
The last Alfa I sold (to a BB'er!) was a 1978 sedan which, after my purchase and driving from Denver to LA, required a complete engine rebuild. It ended up with a Spica pump massaged to HP spec by Wes Ingram, RJR cams with a mechanical VVT sprocket, marelliplex ignition and a bump in compression.

Depending on what I find with the 74's engine, I may go this route again as the sedan was such a treat to drive. I still get the occasional happy email from the new owner of the sedan with a picture participating in some event or another in New England area.

A change from stock cams with the Spica can make a big improvement. Just a nudge to keep you busy.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Geez n I thought a 71 for 8k was a decent buy! Just dropped the rebuilt engine in mine yesterday. My spica was frozen so weber’s are on until its redone. Almost embarrassed to say its the first time Im doing all this on my own, but trial run for when the 67 Super gets painted n is back for reassembly.
B4D6489C-0616-475E-A60E-C5562F89E87E.png
3E7DBCF9-ED80-4936-8235-3FD3BDC0B3BD.jpeg
Good luck with yours. looking forward to seeing its progress.

Reactions: Neil Martin
1 - 13 of 13 Posts