Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Sol. Ca. and looking for a project Spider... What year Spiders have Carbs instead of FI?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage in terms of reliability or performance between FI and a Carb set up?

Thanks... I am new to Alfas... looking forward to building something cool.

Best

Michael
North SD County
[email protected]
760-728-7079

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think you would have to go pre 69 for a US car . Carbs were still around in 69 for other parts of the world like here in Canada .

The Spica injected cars range from 69 to 81 when Bosch Injection started.

The Spica system is an improvement over the Weber carb setup but can be hard to work on.

The power output of Alfa motors dropped a fair bit from the early 70's to the mid? 80's due to pollution
restrictions . More to do with the cams that the injection .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David:

Thanks... that was a big help... Are there a lot of aftermarket engine modifications that like different cams that I can have done during an engine re-build to make up for performance loss? I ask as the cheapest options so far are 1970 to 1974 Spiders?

I will not be doing the engine work so I just need to know options available from guys like you who have the experience.

Best

Michael

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Both carbs and injection work well when they are in good shape......
Both will give you fits if not.
The biggest difference in the later spiders is emmision controls and weight. Less power and more weight = slower car.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
In California you'll need to have a '74 or earlier to be smog exempt and be able to do any meaningful modifications. I have a '72 in which I put 11mm cams, large intake valves, 10.5:1 compression pistons and a high performance Ingram SPICA pump which he will set up to match your mods. It perked it up quite a bit. You could also do a carb conversion on any '69-'74 model if you wanted but it would probably be a bit more expensive. Personally I prefer the SPICA FI system. Although I've never had it tested there's a good possibility that it could still pass a smog test even with the modifications. Performance-wise, as noted, it's a wash but SPICA will give you slightly better mpg. It's main downside is finding someone who knows anything about it if you don't wrench on the car yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Kcabpilot:

Thanks... I was hoping to hear that the FI was better for some reason. Just FYI: CA DMV and CA BAR both confirm that (in California) you can NOT replace a FI on a Spider from 1969 to 1974 with carbs as... carbs were not an Alfa factory option on any of the imported USA Spiders... If carbs or Hemi Blower were an option then you could swap them out.

Now that being said... Yes you are right... who would know unless you were called to the BAR for an inspection.

I would hope I could find someone in Sol Cal who could do this work... but if not... hey just one more thing to learn and add to the useless resume.

Here is another little tidbit of DMV joy... If you are buying a CA car that is NOT on a non-operational permit and has just laps for several years without the registration being paid... You the buyer or the car are 100% responsible for all past registration fees and PENALTIES! Ouch...

Thanks

MF

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
FYI: CA DMV and CA BAR both confirm that (in California) you can NOT replace a FI on a Spider from 1969 to 1974 with
The old saying goes:

"It is far better to ask for forgiveness rather than beg for permission"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts