Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its a 1959 or 1960, how can i find out cant find the chassis no. anywhere ,found a plate that says 10103, 1GM 0992 OM.

Also i want to restore it myself but don't know much about mechanics. What should be the first move. The car was fully restored about 15years ago, and about 10years ago was left outside with no cover and hadn't been moved at all untill now.

Thanks for any help.

Kyri

Attachments

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I agree with Andrew about the later style tail lights; these were incorporated in July 1961. Also at that time the symbols on the dash knobs were changed from gold to silver, and the symbols on this car seem to be silver. You can find the chassis number stamped on the passenger side of the firewall.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What is funny is that a friend of mine had a 1962 Giulietta with the Giulia style tail lights like yours, and he always figured the car had been hit hard at some point in the back and spliced together with parts from a wrecked Giulia Spider. Then we saw another 1962 car identical to his and the owner had bought it new and confirmed it came that way from Alfa Romeo.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
The build date of your car was late 1961.

·
Richard Jemison
7,781 Posts
1961 Alfa Spider

According to Alfa Romeo Production Cars by d`Amico & Tabucchi the chassis # is for a normale type Spider built in 1961. The 101 series cars had the larger tail lights as did the Giulia.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Richard,

See pages 418-419 of d`Amico & Tabucchi. Only the later 101 Spiders had the Giulia tail lights.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Welcome to the AlfaBB!

ok cool i found the chassis no. AR*169895* What do I do with it?
Send an email with this chassis number to the Alfa Archives; [email protected] . They will respond with the build date (which may not necessarily be the model year) and few other tidbits of information.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Also i want to restore it myself but don't know much about mechanics. What should be the first move.
Welcome Kyri!

What you DON'T want to do is start pulling things apart without a system. Thousands of great classic car projects have been rendered nearly worthless when an enthusiastic owner spent 3 weekends "stripping it down" without taking pictures, organizing parts, etc. virtually insuring that the car would never go back together again. First, I would take a good look at the body. Inspect it thoroughly from underneath, pull back the carpets and trunk mat and have a look. If it still seems like a project you wouldn't mind tackling, start looking at other parts with a critical eye but still with a minimum of dissassembly. There are threads on this website that deal with inspecting a motor that hasn't been run in a while. Since we don't know much about your car other than it looks happy to be in a garage at last, I won't go into much detail at this point but we'd love to see your car resurrected. You'll find a lot of help and useful info here. More pictures!

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
You've Come to the Right Place.

Welcome!
There are a few restorations on the BB that have been faithfully documented here. Use the search function in this forum.

You won't be disappointed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts