Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Long-time owner of an '88 Graduate, and now beginning to put some money into interior and exterior. A couple of years ago I was pointed to a particularly good body shop who told me to get a good paint job would be $7k! Considering that I would be robbing someone if I sold the car for much less than half that, I dismissed it altogether.

Soooo, what have you paid to paint your Alfa Spider, and are there any recommendations in central Virginia? There is very little rust and dings, so minimal body work is needed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
WAG on my part is that for a car in the condition you mention, $7 grand should get you no less than a 100 (or 110 point;)) point, concours paint job. A "good" paint job I would think would be a few thousand less than that IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had my car sanded down, a few minor door dings ironed out and resprayed with original base color and clearcoat all for about $1000. Not a perfect 100 point job, but very nice. I did some of the prep work myself (removing the shiny bits, etc), but I guess I got a good deal. $7K seems way over the top unless you plan to haul the car to shows in an enclosed trailer.

A few weeks after I got the car back from the paint shop, I dropped the hood with a socket wrench sitting on the cam cover and put a little dent in the sheet metal and cracked the paint. Oops.

Gene

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
For the '88 Quad...

Two years ago, I had all dents removed, the entire car sanded and shot with metallic silver; all for $3K.

Still looks great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Two years ago I had an MGB done for $4500. This was by a very good shop that does restorations only. They disassembled the doors, hood (bonnet) and truck lid, but did not do the engine compartment. Paint is flawless.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
About two years ago I paid $4000, I think. That included media blasting to bare metal, rocker repairs, mild fender rust repair, dents in hood, trunk lid and door repaired, and getting the car straight in general.....her lines were somewhat wavy. I think the shop owner under estimated what was lurking beneath the paint. It took them 9 months. because they would only work on it in downtime. Overall a decent job, not perfect, but OK. Some corners cut, I think, some overspray, but looking pretty good overall. It got to the point that I wanted it back so badly that I was satisfied with the results more easily. I removed all the lights and brightwork myself and put it back on myself later

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Some prisons in your area (if they have after release job training) will usually do it for free minus the price of the supplies, John M can testify to that one.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...There is very little rust and dings, so minimal body work is needed...
I use two body shops, and I would expect to pay no less than $4-$5k, for an excellent paint job. I should note that I've also seen cars that need minimal work requiring a lot more than anticipated, so $7k does not necessarily sound unreasonable to me, especially if the work will be first rate...

Best regards,

·
Registered
366 Posts
Repaint quote

I was quoted $3800 + part (to fix spoiler under right side of front bumper). This was 2 or maybe 3 coats of Dupont paint and included doing all door, hood and trunk jams plus fixing the minor door dings. He recommended that I wait until winter time to do it when he had more downtime. I'm still looking at getting more quotes. Anyone know of anyone in the Cleveland, OH area?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
About two years ago I paid $4000, I think. That included media blasting to bare metal, rocker repairs, mild fender rust repair, dents in hood, trunk lid and door repaired, and getting the car straight in general.....her lines were somewhat wavy. I think the shop owner under estimated what was lurking beneath the paint. It took them 9 months. because they would only work on it in downtime. Overall a decent job, not perfect, but OK. Some corners cut, I think, some overspray, but looking pretty good overall. It got to the point that I wanted it back so badly that I was satisfied with the results more easily. I removed all the lights and brightwork myself and put it back on myself later
You made out like the proverbial bandit!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Check your local community college. Many have auto body programs and paint cars for the cost of materials. Decent work too.

My nieghbor paints cars in his garage. Said he would paint mine for $2500 if I remove the trim. No rust on the car.

$7000 is a lot of bread for a paint job, unless the car is loaded with rust.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I paid $3200 here in the SF Bay Area, CA, including door jambs, hood & trunk lids, and realigning all those. I removed all the external trim myself, which is pretty easy, at least on the earlier cars. Car had already been de-rusted at that point. While the paint job is not concours-perfect, it looks great, and I still get a lot of compliments on the car, 2 years on (not to brag, I'm always surprised when it happens since it didn't used to happen as much).

Another local painter who had a proper shop wanted something like $8K to strip & repaint it, but that was too rich for my blood at the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts