Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st Time threader

I bought my '81 Spider (not a concourse example) over a year ago from someone who obviously enjoyed Mecano and Silicone sealant. He admitted the engine was a bodge job, but the price was right and I had an awesome motor and box from my 105 series which I thought I would just slip in (the day is coming).

On arriving home I changed plugs, filters and fluids, and topped the oil up to the required level. After an hour or so I checked the oil level again to discover the level was FAR above where it should be. Confused but not concerned I drained some oil out (about 200ml) and checked again, this time there was very little oil registering....huh:confused:? Then I realised something: I had checked the oil level at both sides of the engine....The motor had 2 engine oil dipsticks, both showing different levels. They both feed into the sump at the front of the motor. 1 Was under the distributor and exited from the crank-case, and 1 was in front of the exhaust headers on the opposite side and exited the sump case.

I am running the bodge motor until I can get the rest of the car sorted (hey it works alright), then the day of reckoning will come.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I have no clue as to what your set-up is like (perhaps a picture would help?), but Spider engines have the oil dipstick on the driver side of the block, forward of the exhaust manifold/headers...

Best regards,

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Enrique. Here were my options: 1) Tear my hair out and insist that the seller take the car back (no rust anywhere, solid chassis, good compression, smooth runner, no grind into 2nd gear, soft-top perfect, complete interior, etc.), 2) panic and drop the other motor in, 3) decide on which dipstick to use, and if so how? The history of the engine is unknown (I don't even know if it is an original spider motor or not), 4) Other?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I would call the seller and ask him what he did. (Is it an Alfa engine?) If it helps, I can take a picture of my '84 Spider's engine and post it here, but I must say that if you look at any of the Spider sale ads (here, ebay, etc.) you'll notice that the oil dipstick is in the same position in all the cars.

Best regards,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
To over simplify, one could drain all the oil and change the filter.

Put in 7 1/2 quarts and fire it up for 1 minute then shut it down.

Let it sit about 10 minutes then check it and whichever dipstick reads full is the one to use, then run 'er til she blows, or you get around to swapping engines. :)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Spider engines have the oil dipstick on the driver side of the block
Unless you're in the UK or Japan, in which case it'll be on the passenger side :D

Much more accurate to describe it on the left, or exhaust side methinks.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Unless you're in the UK or Japan, in which case it'll be on the passenger side :D

Much more accurate to describe it on the left, or exhaust side methinks.
I got a good laugh out of this one, Tifosi! And, yes, you are absolutely right! :p

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
In addition to Zungie's "I'll show you mine if you show me yours", measure the liength of the left tube from the engine to the top and the dipstick from the stop to the tip. You could have the wrong dipstick and/or tube on both sides. I'll measure mine if you measure yours.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some answers: Yes it is an Alfa motor (not sure about original spec spider though). My 2000GTV 105 had the dipstick on the right under the distributor (drivers side in South Africa).

One or both dipsticks may be wrong.

Thanks guys. I posted this for some fun, and to show my car really is a high performer with twin cams, twin side-draughts, and twin dipsticks. Perhaps if I fitted another antenna I could pick up my local radio station in sterio.

I am going to drain the oil and add 7.101 liters to select the correct dipstick. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
To clarify the issue of dipsticks, I just wanted to write and say that on the 101 1300 engines, the dipstick was different than on later 1600, 1750 and 2L engines. Yet, you could easily put a 1300 oil pan onto a 2L. Maybe that is what happened?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I am going to drain the oil and add 7.101 liters to select the correct dipstick. Thanks so much.
7 Quarts....not liters!!!:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey John

Thanks for that. I did the maths... What we need is an international standard. While we're at it, internationally we can all learn the same language (that way we won't see variations on the spelling of Pininfarina). 7.5 Quarts = 7.101 Liters

Cheers

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have no clue as to what your set-up is like (perhaps a picture would help?), but Spider engines have the oil dipstick on the driver side of the block, forward of the exhaust manifold/headers...

Best regards,
Well, you have me confused, on my 1750 S2 Spider euro spec the dipstick is on right side of engine (seen from behind) below the distributor. It's got the correct 00548 type engine.
For the record, it takes 6,5 liters to fil the sump incl. an oil filter change - just as the manual says.
Erik

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Well, you have me confused, on my 1750 S2 Spider euro spec the dipstick is on right side of engine (seen from behind) below the distributor. It's got the correct 00548 type engine.
For the record, it takes 6,5 liters to fil the sump incl. an oil filter change - just as the manual says.
Erik
Sorry about the confusion, but as Tifosi pointed out right after my post, I was talking U.S. Spiders, and thinking 2 liters... The U.S. only saw 1750 engines in '69 and '71, and the car in question on this thread is a 1981 example. For sure, I have never seen one with 2 dipsticks, but as Alex pointed out, an earlier year sump does fit a 2 liter, and I'm sure the "mystery" will be explained soon...

Best regards,

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
First, let me correct my previous post. The 101 1300cc engine I was referring to was the type found in the 105 series GT 1300 Junior and Spider 1300 Junior. I also believe that the 1600 Duetto engine and maybe even the 1750 came with the intake-side dipstick, while the 2L came with the exhaust-side dipstick. Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And here I was thinking my problem was solved:(. We have all guessed that my present engine is a hybrid of whatever the seller had lying about his garage (the engine had nothing to do with why I bought this car). I want this motor for a few months, till the conversion is sorted. If I have too much oil I will foul plugs and maybe even the engine bay, if I add too little.....well.

I know that the 2l motors of the 105 series sold in SA have the dipstick on the carb side. Now the question: Exactly how much oil does a 2L motor take? 6.5 liters and 7.5 quarts are very different.

The input has been awesome.

Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
First, the conversion for the correct amount of 7.5 US Quarts of engine oilis 7.09761 L. That IS the amount of oil recommended in the Alfa 2L owner's manual (7.5 Quarts or 7 L). Second, an Alfa engine can run smoothly on as little as 2 Quarts of oil or as much as 8 quarts (maybe even more). The optimum operating range is between 6 and 7.5 quarts. A friend who drives his 1600 Duetto everyday and has been driving and fixing Alfa twin-cam 4Cyl. engines for about 35 years normally keeps his engine with about 6.5 quarts in it. He finds that engines seem to run better at that level.

I hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts