Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What Wheels Best Suit a 105?

• GTA

Votes: 307 51.2%
  • Cromodora

Votes: 128 21.3%
  • Minilight

Votes: 106 17.7%
  • Other (please post a convincing photo)

Votes: 59 9.8%

• Total voters
1021 - 1040 of 1042 Posts

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
I finished up with getting my original steelies edge rolled, centre balanced and ice blasted and then I painted them painted in Eastwood Argent Silver wheel paint and added a semi-gloss clear. Pleased with the outcome with not too much bling, leaving the S1 hubcaps to stand out.

IMG_20200322_093035.jpg

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
What does edge rolled mean?

Pete

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Pete, in my case, a wheel place that has the equipment for steel rims (many don’t anymore) spins up the wheel and using a laser measurement and some heat and a special dolly, they remove any accrued chips, indents or scuffed spots. Trueing up the wheel edges to the correct profile and in a single plane. They also test the centre section where the wheel/ lug nuts go. Often they find one that is no longer perfectly in parallel with the plane of the wheel edges. They charged $40 a wheel and did a great job.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Your car is beautiful and I love the color!

Nice work.

-tj

I finished up with getting my original steelies edge rolled, centre balanced and ice blasted and then I painted them painted in Eastwood Argent Silver wheel paint and added a semi-gloss clear. Pleased with the outcome with not too much bling, leaving the S1 hubcaps to stand out.

View attachment 1621486

·
Registered
15 Posts
After some digging on information I got this from another collector. The brand is 2r, a Joint Venture between Canonica and Fondmetal. I just hope they are 4x108 and not 4x98. Will see when I get them

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
After some digging on information I got this from another collector. The brand is 2r, a Joint Venture between Canonica and Fondmetal. I just hope they are 4x108 and not 4x98. Will see when I get them
Nick, Any chance you or your collector friend know who manufactured these? There are no casting marks anywhere on the wheel, just a sticker on the inside stating they fit Alfa Giulia Type 105s of all types (in Italian).

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
bellagt, They are also Delta Milano he told me. They had different factory castings like LOW, CFR e FBR. You need to ask if they are 4x98 or 4x108. I'm in europe if you need help. Have shipped rims before to US but very expensive, best I could do was 300 euros.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thanks Nick! My wheels are slightly different than yours with the smaller opeinings being triangular vs trapazoid shaped. I just needed help with finding out who made them, something I'm often asked, but didn't have a reasonable answer until now. I own a set that are mounted on my GTV. They are unusual and I've only seen one other set here in CA, so I'm often asked about them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No marks inside? I can pm you his whatsapp number. They are Delta Milano but it appears there were different batches. Yes yours has a smaller gap which i noticed, I'm afraid that's all i know. I have seen them before but as all those wheels here "rare"

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
No marks inside? I can pm you his whatsapp number. They are Delta Milano but it appears there were different batches. Yes yours has a smaller gap which i noticed, I'm afraid that's all i know. I have seen them before but as all those wheels here "rare"
No casting marks inside or anywhere. Pls PM me the contact info and I'll send him pictures (in and outside) of the wheel. TIA

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
bellagt, They are also Delta Milano he told me. They had different factory castings like LOW, CFR e FBR. You need to ask if they are 4x98 or 4x108. I'm in europe if you need help. Have shipped rims before to US but very expensive, best I could do was 300 euros.
Nick, These are Delta Milano wheels...

Attachments

·
Registered
1971, 1750 GTV
9 Posts
Well I know I'm only new here, but I am seeking some expert opinion regarding the best wheels for my 1750 GTV (or any 105 series GTV for that matter). I am going to need new tyres at some point in the near future and I realise my current rims are a bit dodgy, so I need to get on the lookout for some new ones. Since there are a few fairly common styles of aftermarket wheels people put on their 105's I thought it best to put it to the vote...

So I am chosing between the following common styles...

1. GTA

2. Cromodora

3. Minilights (or any equivalent)

4. Other Style - please nominate & post a convincing picture.
My vote is for Cromodoras with Pirelli tires, 14", Here's mine

Classic Mag Campi's

Hey, they all look great, don't they! You can't make a mistake.

I very much wanted to put these wheels on my car... classic Campi's. However, these are truly mag wheels, and required special preparation. I had a machinist lined up to trim the wheels' mounting faces to a required, minimum 30mm positive offset. But to really use these on the street, as I intended, in our JAX Beaches environment, I had to then strip the finish, reseal, and refinish the set. I couldn't negotiate the price to a level where it made sense. Still love the wheels, though.

14x6 campagnolo wheels

I ended up going to the Aussie Superlight, as my mechanic had a set he wanted to trade in 14x6 with 30mm offset. I had to chase down wheel centers, and install Alfa emblems sourced through Centerline. Project came out great.

By the way, for street, and possibly even track days, the Vredestein Hi-Trac in 185-65HR14 (yes, H rated) works great on a 6 inch wheel. The stick and rain performance on my Berlina are amazing. These are readily available... and a very modern tire construction... and work great on 105 series cars. Note in the photo, I messed up and mounted the front wheels backwards... Brain fart. Fixed it a couple hours after mounting.

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
OttoAuto, That is an awesome red. Factory colour?

Pete

·
Registered
1971, 1750 GTV
9 Posts
OttoAuto, That is an awesome red. Factory colour?

Pete
Thanks No It's not a factory color. It's is color that I've had for years in my mind as "Italian racing red." A color you might have seen on a 1930s Alfa. When I was restoring the car I wanted to change it from white (originally it was "plum") to this red. Fortunately, my brother had found a nut-cracker at his local grocery store that was the perfect shade of red. I sent it to my restorer and he used it to select the paint color. I think its is Sikkens/AkzolNobel (paint company), 405E3 color map, (2 Sage, base/clearcoat)

1021 - 1040 of 1042 Posts