Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AAAARGH:mad: I bought a motometer synchronizer for my weber 45s. Previously I had synchronized them manually by the inspection holes (maybe that is not what they are called but they are a plug that when removed reveals two tiny holes that you can shine a light down and see the throttle plates) and all was running well.

Last week I adjusted the float level to spec (8.5mm) and the car was running really well. The synchronizer came without the adapter for the Alfa airbox, so I removed it and just stuck it straight into the throat. I was surprised that the meter was showing a 2 kg/hr difference in the airflow rate:eek:
Well, I adjusted them until they are even and readjusted the idle mixture and I immediately noticed that I now have a miss on #2:mad: ***!!
I then pulled the plugs and cleaned them with my fine gauge wire wheel. They were a little fouled, but not horrific. So I put them back in and got the mixture adjusted so that we are firing on all 4 and took it out for a drive. It drove fine...until I pulled into the driveway when it started to miss again!!

I don't get it:confused::mad:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Papajam, the carbs are indeed rubber mounted. I never thought of that effectng the reading, but obviously I was wrong.....

To update the situation, I unscrewed the progression hole plug and shone my 21 LED flashlight (daylight in your hand) and watched the throttle plates. I adjusted them until I could see that they were all passing at the exact same time. Bearbvd, I think that this is probably just as fast as the old hose method. I have heard of doing that for SU carbs on limey cars;)

Long story short, I spent some time with it yesterday and now it is running better than ever:D:D
I still might order the adapter to use the motometer on the Alfa airbox. I doubt it will make a huge difference, but I think that there are still variables like throttle plate seat wear and the like that could be corrected for with the use of the airflow meter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts