Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
It's your car, you know how you want it to look, do what you think will suit you best.
My choice would be old school single stage every time.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It's your car, you know how you want it to look, do what you think will suit you best.
My choice would be old school single stage every time.
In '09 I was fortunate enough to purchase a very nice '72 Super with it's original Rosso Amaranto paint (most of it anyway) intact and in remarkably good condition. Alfas in period were painted in high quality single stage enamel and on this carefully maintained 37 year old example the paint, along with the rest of the car, had stood the test of time. A couple of afternoons of hand compounding followed by glaze, polish, and wax soon had the almost 4 decade old paint looking new. In my opinion, single stage enamel has some definite advantages. The problem, of course, is that most modern shops don't spray their cars with single stage and, in fact, may not have much experience working with it. That said, while my preference lies with single stage paint both for original appearance and longevity, the 2 stage paint used and preferred by most shops can produce excellent results.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
what type of paint should i use

Hi , I have a garage with a body shop as part of it, we have to fill in a form every year saying we require exemption to use single stage paint , it can only be used in the U.K on classic cars and tractors , it getting harder to carry on doing this due to more environmental laws ,the last one we did was an Alfa Alfetta , and I have to say it did look nice (sorry no pictures), but when it came to my own car I went with 2 stage base and clear as my car is grigio grafite and I thought in a few years being grey it could look a bit boring or flat , which maybe why the last owner painted it blue.
Good luck. Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks everyone. I've succumbed to progress and will be going with a base/clear. I'll post some updates in September when I do the next physical inspection. I'll also try and dig up some photos of it from the early stages of the work. I learnt a lot about panel work and welding on that car!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 1970 1750 that has nice finish in single stage paint.
Reading that there is one stage acrylic and one stage Enamel which one did alfa originally use and what is used for resprays? ( if choosing single stage)
can i tell which mine would be ? and does it effect future paint work if either or?
cheers

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
kip sent me a pic of his freshly painted dino done with a modern 2 stage over the beautiful period correct single stage... bad bad kip! :)

still looks wonderful fortunately

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here’s mine: 2 stage aquabase AR213 + clearcoat = amazing in the hands of a real pro. Prep is everything. I haven’t seen it in the flesh yet, that’s for March 9, but trust the pro. I am dealing with.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a 1970 1750 that has nice finish in single stage paint.
Reading that there is one stage acrylic and one stage Enamel which one did alfa originally use and what is used for resprays? ( if choosing single stage)
can i tell which mine would be ? and does it effect future paint work if either or?
cheers
This is page 90 from the body manual circa 1970.
View attachment Body Manual page 90.pdf

·
Super Moderator
9,964 Posts
Alister:

Looking good! Congratulations on getting body & paint completed so you can move on to re-assembly. You'll be driving it again soon.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice Alistair... gee they look great freshly painted.

I’ve said it before, they look like a sculpture, work of art all naked like that.

Good luck with they rest of it...

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
I've used both on different cars and both looked great. I was really surprised how wet the single stage looked, very high gloss. Touch ups are easier with single stage.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congrats Al..... looks fabulous! Always exciting to see the fresh paint!
I remember this car when it was your daily driver.... a loooong time ago!!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Alister:

Looking good! Congratulations on getting body & paint completed so you can move on to re-assembly. You'll be driving it again soon.
Nice Alistair... gee they look great freshly painted.

I’ve said it before, they look like a sculpture, work of art all naked like that.

Good luck with they rest of it...

Cheers,

Paul.
Looking good Al,

Cheers

Chris
Congrats Al..... looks fabulous! Always exciting to see the fresh paint!
I remember this car when it was your daily driver.... a loooong time ago!!

Thanks all. Mark, you win the prize for knowing this car the longest :). Chris - I hope this motivates you to get your car done as well!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts