Alfa Romeo Forums banner

What type of paint should I use?

11K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Aggie57 
#1 ·
I’ve had my ‘73 GTV for 34 years, at first I used it as my daily driver but after a few years I started what turned out to be a very lengthy restoration. I did major panel work (new nose, inner and outer left front guard/fender etc). I did the whole rotisserie thing, painted it inside and underneath myself, rebuilt the engine blah blah blah.

But then it sat for years while I got busy with other projects and businesses. Now I’ve sent it to a recommended panel shop to get painted and visiting them this week they want to paint it in a modern base / clear coat rather than the solid two-pack of the day, and which I used for all the work done to date.

I’m sure modern paints are better in many ways but I’m uncertain about it in this case. The car is intended as a good weekend toy, well restored and presented but not a garage queen or concours prepared. I’d like it to feel and look like a car of its period.

So I’m interested in other people’s thoughts and experiences with the type of paint to use.

Reactions: jantar
#35 ·
Nice Alistair... gee they look great freshly painted.

I’ve said it before, they look like a sculpture, work of art all naked like that.

Good luck with they rest of it...

Cheers,

Paul.

#37 ·
I've used both on different cars and both looked great. I was really surprised how wet the single stage looked, very high gloss. Touch ups are easier with single stage.

#38 ·
Congrats Al..... looks fabulous! Always exciting to see the fresh paint!
I remember this car when it was your daily driver.... a loooong time ago!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.