Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, long time no see !

For those who remember my project here is the link:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/154713-86-spider-complete-restoration-project.html

Motivation is still there and I want to resurrect the project. I've been working on it for last two weeks during the night. Next week a friend of mine is supposed to come by and I would like to put the engine/gearbox combo in the car. My question is what should I install in the engine bay before dropping in the engine and the gearbox ?

I'm thinking about gas pedal linkage. Should I install gas pipe ? brake lines ? clutch master cylinder to slave cylinder line ? What do you consider essential, important and not so much important ?

Thank you !
Dominic

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Just me--but i would put everything back in prior to setting the engine and drivetrain back in. So much working room without the engine in there--Help setting the engine in may be hard to come by, but you will save so much time by completing everything without the engine in the way. I would save the engine/tranny for the very last step--but that's me--

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
I agree. Everything except the sway bar. If you have tubular headers hang them in loose too.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
oh yeah I forgot--in addition to the sway bar, also the steering arm that runs across under the rear of the engine--leave one side dangling. It's in the way when you set the drivetrain in. I'm one of those guys that prefer to pull and install the engine and tranny as a unit.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
My experience in working on a standing pedal Sprint GT was that the brake lines needed to go in before anything - even the steering box/column. Might be different for a hanging pedal car, but if you are re-using old lines that are pre-bent, you need a lot of room to snake them in.

Think about what you need to disconnect to remove an engine. Actually, it isn't very much: cooling system, driveline, final wiring to the engine, the items that flivesay and alfaparticle mentioned. So everything else can be in place before dropping in the engine.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My experience in working on a standing pedal Sprint GT was that the brake lines needed to go in before anything - even the steering box/column. Might be different for a hanging pedal car, but if you are re-using old lines that are pre-bent, you need a lot of room to snake them in.
I hope it's different for an hanging pedal car because my steering box/column is already there and I now have a complex setup with my electric power steering. I won't re-use old lines… hope it will help ! I will definitely install brake lines before the engine with what I'm reading here tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts