Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
When I had this happen years ago with a different Alfa, I drilled sideways through everything and then pinned it with a screw. Worked well for years, until I sold the car.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thought I'd finally update this thread with some pics. You can see I've harvested some parts and plan to go back for more. Any thoughts on how to open the doors? They're all stuck. Mind you, there's not much to get from the interior.
20200115_170207.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
I'd take the large dia corrugated intake hose between the AFM and the intake air plenum if it is ok. Also the two hood struts. And, if there was a way to stuff all of the aluminum trim pieces (the ones on the doors just slide back, IIRC, the others not sure) around the body into a large cardboard tube, I'd take those.

PM me if you get any of those items.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'd take the large dia corrugated intake hose between the AFM and the intake air plenum if it is ok. Also the two hood struts. And, if there was a way to stuff all of the aluminum trim pieces (the ones on the doors just slide back, IIRC, the others not sure) around the body into a large cardboard tube, I'd take those.
Take a closer look Del - that intake hose readily broke into two pieces just moving stuff around in the engine bay.

I have the hood struts and AL trim pieces on my list now. If anyone has any insight on how to remove them, feel free to share. I have one of those plastic, 2" wide, 90-degree pry tools I would favor lacking any other knowledge. The door pieces I would just pull towards the rear. The similar trim pieces on my Audi come off that way too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Airbag sensors look ok and are easy to remove (just a suggestion, not requesting parts)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks like a 24V to me. I'd be interested in buying the engine (including wiring harness, clutch & flywheel).
Oh, no question it's a 24V. Much as I'd hate to see it go away, the whole engine probably isn't feasible. Maybe the heads and transmission. But out of curiosity, what would you think the whole engine would be worth?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Coolant tank.
I checked that out but it looked too "crispy" to me. See previous comment about the intake hose breaking in half when some pressure was applied. This car has been sitting in the sun for ~15 years it would seem, and so everything plastic and rubber has been marginalized.

I did note that the Airbag sensors were easily removed and different from the 12v cars. I just didn't think there might be any demand for them.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Oh, no question it's a 24V. Much as I'd hate to see it go away, the whole engine probably isn't feasible. Maybe the heads and transmission. But out of curiosity, what would you think the whole engine would be worth?
I bought a "builder" from Alfa Parts Exchange for $1,000. It is missing a few parts (intake runners, some odds & ends). Not guaranteed to run.

I also bought a "runner" (complete including wiring harness) from them for $2K.

I thought both were surprisingly low prices, until I found out how much parts cost for them in the US.

The heads aren't interchangeable with the 12V block, so might not be worth the trouble unless you have a specific use for them. Given all the stuff you have to take off to remove the heads, doing that in with the engine in the car would be a serious hassle. (or is the engine out of the car?)

I'd also be interested in buying the intake runners.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Why not just grab what ever you can? I stripped a twinspark and the remains were trailered away looking like there had been an attack by a swarm of car-eating locusts. If it is good, remove and keep it. Even if you don't need it, someone else probably will.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The Bosch ECU brings big bucks and is rather easily removed. Location is fully forward, in front of the console.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks for the input Mike. One possible consideration might be buying everything that's attached to the front sub-frame and have them deliver it. I'm not even sure if it's an option, but it's something I might talk to them about. I'd want to make sure the engine spins freely first. We'll see. If that doesn't work out, I'll try to harvest the runners and other stuff.

BTW, what did you mean by this statement?
I thought both were surprisingly low prices, until I found out how much parts cost for them in the US.
Were the 24V parts prices less, or more than you expected?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts