Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the opportunity to pull some parts from a junked '95 5-speed. It's in a rather sad state, having sat outside for ~15 years. At some point a tree fell on it, crushing the back window and leaving the interior exposed to the elements. As such, anything from the interior is pretty much shot.

Any thoughts on what might be worth grabbing? Is the transmission the same as the one used on on the '91 - '93 S ?

Is the oil sump the same as the later, better one used on the 12V engines?

What's "NLA" for the 24V cars that is needed to be saved?

What might be a worthwhile upgrade for a 12V car?

I'm open to ideas.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brad,

The LS gearbox would have the same ratios as the L. The Q had the same ratios as the S. The LS and Q, however, had a reverse lockout that the L/S did not have, so I believe if you transplant, you would have to take the entire shifter linkage as well. Not really an improvement unless your current gearbox has issues.

I did a lot of 94-95 upgrades to '91 car years ago. There's a surprising amount that is different. I'm now of the keep it more original mindset.

I can't speak to what is really NLA that I would want to have on the shelf used, but I would consider a fuel pump, a suspension controller and ECU. The metal lower radiator (the approximately straight one across the bottom of the radiator - these can rot out and are NLA). I'd take a chance on the catalytic converter if the mileage is low and in really nice shape - if anything less, not worth it. Center console LCD display might be worth checking to see if it happens to be one that was repaired by Goats (he does not repair them anymore if I'm not mistaken) - if not, probably not worth having. Of course these are all 24V specific, so not particularly useful to you.

That's all I can think of. This is coming from someone who has had a lot of spare parts. I keep less these days and rely on Alfa Parts Exchange and various others (DiFatta, Alfissimo) that I am happy to support when I need parts from a parts car.

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
E
I've got the opportunity to pull some parts from a junked '95 5-speed. It's in a rather sad state, having sat outside for ~15 years. At some point a tree fell on it, crushing the back window and leaving the interior exposed to the elements. As such, anything from the interior is pretty much shot.

Any thoughts on what might be worth grabbing? Is the transmission the same as the one used on on the '91 - '93 S ?

Is the oil sump the same as the later, better one used on the 12V engines?

What's "NLA" for the 24V cars that is needed to be saved?

What might be a worthwhile upgrade for a 12V car?

I'm open to ideas.
to add to 12V. This is all I did to mine:

L/R Side mirrors
Interior self dimming mirror
Brake booster and master, Brake calipers/carriers. this is a great upgrade
Carpet if still good
Rear center light if yours has old white stripes on reverse section. Full red is better looking.

That's about all I would grab. Engine and trans would be nice for my stock but not to throw in the 12V. Maybe grab the trans as usuable to sell and or use for parts for your trans if you have an S.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Sun visors. Climate control computer from the dashboard. Headlight units and maybe tail light units. Bumpers if you have storage for them. Interior and exterior door handles if you have the time and knowledge in order to get them. Grab the accessible relays. Windshield wiper motor assembly complete, plus windshield washer bottle if you have the time and knowledge to get at these. Window switch panel complete with switches. Seat motor switches.

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
For LS refurb parts, get the front, side, and rear bumper/door/fender metal trim pieces if decent, and the two electronic ignition modules under the air cleaner box. For all 164, as Micheal mentions, all relays.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Grab the two cowls that surround the fog lambs at the bottom of the front bumper. I had to go to Europe to get the two I needed. The seat motors that move the seat up and down? Three of the four of mine are shot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
On those seat motors that appear to be shot make sure the switches actually work. Second, make sure you have the ARDONA blue box addition under the seat which prevents the seat motors from reaching end of travel by momentarily reversing direction when you lift off the switch. It was found that the motor had insufficient torque to reverse direction if the seat reached the end of its travel range and then stopped, particularly the fore/aft travel. Seat motors themselves tend to be long lasting if only because they are hardly ever in use.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grab the two cowls that surround the fog lambs at the bottom of the front bumper. I had to go to Europe to get the two I needed. The seat motors that move the seat up and down? Three of the four of mine are shot.
Thanks for the input. The surrounds were already gone but I did grab the two Carellos, each with a chunk of clipped-off wiring harness. The lights are in remarkably good shape.

Are the seat motors different from the ones in the 12V cars? And are you sure on your car it's not the switches that are the problem rather than the motors? With the way this car has been exposed to the elements - there literally were vines growing throughout the interior - the quality of anything from the interior would be very suspect.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For LS refurb parts, get the front, side, and rear bumper/door/fender metal trim pieces if decent, and the two electronic ignition modules under the air cleaner box. For all 164, as Micheal mentions, all relays.
Thanks for the input. I'm just now looking at the pics of the car and the metal trim seems to all be there. I'd have no use for that myself and it's the type of thing I'd hate to store and hate to ship. But if someone needed it, feel free to drop me a PM. The electrical stuff would certainly be easier, however, it would need to be weatherproof or it's likely already junk.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sun visors. Climate control computer from the dashboard. Headlight units and maybe tail light units. Bumpers if you have storage for them. Interior and exterior door handles if you have the time and knowledge in order to get them. Grab the accessible relays. Windshield wiper motor assembly complete, plus windshield washer bottle if you have the time and knowledge to get at these. Window switch panel complete with switches. Seat motor switches.
Lots of good input - thanks Michael. Any of the interior stuff is likely not worth the bother. I'll post a pic or two later and you'll understand better.
The headlights are the same as the 12V cars, yes?
I like the look of the 12V bumpers better than the later 24V cars, so I'll probably leave those behind.
All four doors are seized shut. The driver door window has been busted out but the door still wouldn't open from the inside. Are the interior handles the same as the 12V cars, or did those change with the door card change?
I hadn't considered grabbing the windshield wiper motor assembly and mine is wonky. Were any improvements made to that on the later cars?
Plastic bottles all looked old and crispy, so nothing worth bothering with there.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
L/R Side mirrors
Interior self dimming mirror
Brake booster and master, Brake calipers/carriers. this is a great upgrade

Maybe grab the trans as usuable to sell and or use for parts for your trans if you have an S.
Both side mirrors didn't stay set in one spot - they readily moved back and fourth. Not sure if that might be an easy fix or not. Plus, the driver side mirror glass is broken. Is the glass shared with anything more commonly available?

I thought I had recalled reading that the calipers were bigger. I'd forgotten that the booster/master got upgraded. Front rotor is the same size, yes? And rear brakes are all the same as earlier, correct?

I still have the B/L 5-speed - it's not even had the bearing upgrade. I realize it would be more of a project to "convert" to this one if it's basically the S version of the gearbox.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks for the input. The surrounds were already gone but I did grab the two Carellos, each with a chunk of clipped-off wiring harness. The lights are in remarkably good shape.

Are the seat motors different from the ones in the 12V cars? And are you sure on your car it's not the switches that are the problem rather than the motors? With the way this car has been exposed to the elements - there literally were vines growing throughout the interior - the quality of anything from the interior would be very suspect.
It is the seat motors for my car, not the switches. The gears inside are plastic and they tend to crack with age. Considering they have been exposed to the elements for several years, the electronics are probably no good. Thanks for trying.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
Both side mirrors didn't stay set in one spot - they readily moved back and fourth. Not sure if that might be an easy fix or not. Plus, the driver side mirror glass is broken. Is the glass shared with anything more commonly available?

I thought I had recalled reading that the calipers were bigger. I'd forgotten that the booster/master got upgraded. Front rotor is the same size, yes? And rear brakes are all the same as earlier, correct?

I still have the B/L 5-speed - it's not even had the bearing upgrade. I realize it would be more of a project to "convert" to this one if it's basically the S version of the gearbox.
No front rotors are thicker. Makes a big difference in heat dispersement. Mirrors can be fixed. Glass not shared but They do sell the glass alone if you can find it. Otherwise I have a drivers side mirror

·
Registered
882 Posts
Me, I would happily grab the drivers glass (mine has a scratch), any door handle, usual relays, instrument cluster. The metal trims are hard to find but a pain to remove. I should replace the right-front curved section on mine but may wait until paint is due and deal with it then. The wiper motors and arms are useful especially if knurls not stripped.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I would take the center console with all the switches, a/c display, etc. If you are up to it, take the fuel pump unit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If it's a 24v, I am struggling to find the plastic cambelt covers... but I am in the UK. happy to pay shipping and a reward!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it's a 24v, I am struggling to find the plastic cambelt covers... but I am in the UK. happy to pay shipping and a reward!
Yes, 24V, so I'll keep it in mind. I know at least one of the 12V cam belt covers is NLA - maybe they all are by now.

Thanks for the additional ideas - just need to wait for a moderately warm day to return.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been searching for a drivers side windshield wiper arm for some time to get my '93 164L thru safety inspection.
Bosch part #25157. I have found wipers from earlier cars but the spindle is smaller on pre '93. Would be quite happy to pay for shipping and for your help.
Thank you
Chris Z

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been searching for a drivers side windshield wiper arm for some time to get my '93 164L thru safety inspection.
Bosch part #25157. I have found wipers from earlier cars but the spindle is smaller on pre '93. Would be quite happy to pay for shipping and for your help.
So you're saying '93+ the spindle is larger? Odd that the change was made one year before the facelift. It's in my list.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Never seen a different sized tapered serrated hole in a 164 wiper arm. I have seen wiper arms with the serrations worn smooth because arm became loose and slipped on steel serration on wiper motor shafts. Try using blue Loctite thread-locker inside tapered hole and a good locker washer under the retaining nut.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts