Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first saw this car I immediately thought " truly great car, I absolutely must have, but who tried to make it into a ferrari/vette?" We campaigned it this past summer in as found condition with some success, but I really think I should get rid of the ferrari vents, side exhaust, and older vinyl interior. I was able to acquire the correct headlight lenses which helped a lot. The guy who restored it in the 90's swears there are numbers on the vents which match other components, but I just dont buy it. I really cant beleive these were put on at the factory. Others have said they could have been since it is such a late car.

On the other hand these alterations are part of the cars history, and it is so honest in every other respect, part of me thinks I should just leave it alone and enjoy the ride. Your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
Shawn:

Leave it alone. Having seen your car in person a couple of times it is stunning as is. If the modifications were done in period then they are part of the car's history. I guess it all depends on what you ultimately intend to do with the car.

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay.

I do think the car is important enough to be returned to its original state (at some point)and unless someone can prove italian carozzeria were using these types of vents in the early 50's, I think this car will always be tainted by them. There will always be the "oh those dont belong" thing going on with the car.

They have grown on me though, I must admit. hence the question here to gather others opinions.

Right now I think I will just drive the car, since once it has been restored to Jewelry like/trailer queen status one is always nervous about doing so. It is really fun to drive!

The funniest quote about these came from Raymond Milo- something to the extent of "we have determined your car was modified by a distant cousin of Pinin Farina, who emigrated to Alabama- Bubba Farina"

HA!

Shawn

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
While I think the side pipes are a "little over the top," it looks great otherwise IMO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the exhaust has to go, but I will wait until it needs replaced to get rid of it, that is very easy, with the exception of filling in the big hole cut in the fender liner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts