Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it finally happened. After a few bumps and bruises over the years, "Sophia Loren #2" (my profile pic) got rear-ended by a grossly negligent, intoxicated driver going 35 mph. I parked her legally in front of a restaurant and she was hit so hard she flew 30 feet down the street. The car's ongoing blog is here: 1988 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER VELOCE My question is simple: Should I take the settlement and pay to have her repaired (thinking I'll need to find a whole back section of another 88 that's up for scrap) or just find another one and put all the goodies on Sophia over to the new one? I spared no expense in making her the best in the city at least. Take a look at the website and let me know what you think. Much appreciated. I am very interested in your stories/opinions.
Sincerely,
OSSESSO

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will update with the dollar amount of the adjuster's first attempt at a settlement check a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Receipts totaling $9k+ (not including purchase price) were provided to the adjuster 32 hours ago.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Call a Lawyer Your neck must be hurting!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't in the car when it happened. I was looking at it from inside the restaurant. Amazingly, I kept my food down. FYI: I've owned many Alfas over the years and seen all sorts of idiots bump them and scratch them, but nothing like this. This is wholly disgusting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just noticed that I even did the customary flip of the left mirror to avoid the dreaded clipping from wide vehicles and bicycles. Lot of good that did eh?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I hate to see these things happen. Your car was hit too hard to repair cost effectively. It's probably sprung everywhere. I would find a sound replacement and use your car for parts. I don't know much about negotiating with insurance companies, but you need to get some serious money to replace that car!
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jeff. That's where I'm leaning as well. Of all my Alfas over the years this particular one was dialed in so tight. Suspension and the right wheels, the tuned exhaust on decel would literally set off car alarms and sounded like a jet engine under the freeway overpass. No other Alfa has ever felt/sounded like this one. Performance euro-cams, etc. On the bright side, there are some decent ones out there for sure. But her paint job was a miracle in itself. As the sun set it seemed to change colors at least 3 times. People would stop and take pictures of this one at least once a week. Nobody enjoys loss. The 'as new' cloth top on her somehow survived. But you're right, the doors are sprung forward and who knows what else....

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
She'll never be the same. Better to strip her and then give her a Viking Funeral. You'll likely never get one so good, but it'll be a lot closer than what you'll get back after six months of repairs in the shop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ONE MORE NOTE: if anyone knows of a recently killed 1988 spider veloce please post the link, unless it was also rear-ended of course. Thanks kindly.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Sorry man she's a goner. You'd have to find someone like a racecar fabricator to put her back together. Good luck finding a replacement.

·
Registered
what part?
10,158 Posts
what about the picasso's in your trunk?...... just take all the money you can, keep the car . strip it for everything you can.. get another spider..:):):)

·
Administrator
13,480 Posts
I'd cut the back off another and weld it on this car. You love this car and thus it should be fixed.

I've seen some amazing repairs done in the past and some places would even be able to reuse whats there, but it costs more.

As I always say in these situations, get it on a chassis straightener and you will be amazed at how straight it will be in one days work. Amazing machines.
Pete

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
She was very sharp. Sorry to see the destruction. I think you had better start shopping for comps.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd cut the back off another and weld it on this car. You love this car and thus it should be fixed.

I've seen some amazing repairs done in the past and some places would even be able to reuse whats there, but it costs more.

As I always say in these situations, get it on a chassis straightener and you will be amazed at how straight it will be in one days work. Amazing machines.
Pete
We're going to give it a shot. I looked at what's out there and it's only steeled my resolve to bring her back now.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'd Give Ole Larry at APEDirect.com a call. I am sure they would have a sound Alfa tub laying around they could sell you for a reasonable price.

I have to agree with others, the damage is almost too extensive to repair reasonably and the car may never handle right again.

In my humble opinion it would be better get get a rust free shell, have it painted the same color and spend a week swapping over parts. That way you wont have a jigsaw puzzle of a car and still get a fresh paint job.

I'm sorry to see this happen... I've been there...

Cheers
Martin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Let's not lose sight of the question asked "What to do when somebody rear-ends an 88 Spider Veloce?"...

First I'd slowly walk out of the restaurant, still with a napkin tucked in my collar. Walk around the car. Open my door, pull out my Louisville Slugger. Walk over to the driver who hit you. Hand him the bat. Walk over to the passenger side of my Alfa, open the glove box. Grab a gun. Walk back yo the driver. Tell him to step out of his car. Tell him to beat the crap out of himself with the bat or you'll shoot him. After he cracks his own head open....shoot him. Wipe down the gun and put it in his hand. Then go back & finish dinner. ,,,,but that's just me.

Almost forgot one thing. Make sure you stuff the corps of your ex-girlfriend (seperate incident) in the trunk of the Alfa before the cops show up. (Two birds with one stone).

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
OMG! I believe Julian has a few unresolved relationship issues.

Besides that...
I talked to the guy that has performed some fabrication on my Spider. He said he's seen worse, it just a matter of time and money once you find a shop that can handle it.

I wish you both the best of luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG! I believe Julian has a few unresolved relationship issues.

Besides that...
I talked to the guy that has performed some fabrication on my Spider. He said he's seen worse, it just a matter of time and money once you find a shop that can handle it.

I wish you both the best of luck!
Thanks for that, Randall. I found the right shop. Now I need to find a really cheap Fiat for the summer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let's not lose sight of the question asked "What to do when somebody rear-ends an 88 Spider Veloce?"...

First I'd slowly walk out of the restaurant, still with a napkin tucked in my collar. Walk around the car. Open my door, pull out my Louisville Slugger. Walk over to the driver who hit you. Hand him the bat. Walk over to the passenger side of my Alfa, open the glove box. Grab a gun. Walk back yo the driver. Tell him to step out of his car. Tell him to beat the crap out of himself with the bat or you'll shoot him. After he cracks his own head open....shoot him. Wipe down the gun and put it in his hand. Then go back & finish dinner. ,,,,but that's just me.

Almost forgot one thing. Make sure you stuff the corps of your ex-girlfriend (seperate incident) in the trunk of the Alfa before the cops show up. (Two birds with one stone).
Thanks for the nearly cathartic laugh. But now that I'm older and wiser I think a proper lawsuit is in order.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts