Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run 205/50/16's for street and 205/45/16's for track, but want to run 215 or 225's. Problem is, I haven't found one manufacturer that makes sticky tires in that width with the correct aspect ratio.

Ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Nizam, I can't answer your question on tire size, but which 16" wheels did you go with? Did you choose the same street wheels as track wheels?

Thanks,
Bill in MD
'88 Milano 3.0, currently rebuilding engine

·
Supporting Vendor
4,423 Posts
Nizam,

The Michelin Pilot Sport comes in a 215/45-16, would that size work? They are pretty sticky for a street tire, supposedly a little stiffer than the S-03s. There is also supposed to be a Pilot Sport Cup version with a softer compound in the same tread pattern, but I haven't found any info on them.

Very spendy, though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
JoeCab said:
There is also supposed to be a Pilot Sport Cup version with a softer compound in the same tread pattern, but I haven't found any info on them.

Very spendy, though.
Actually, the Pilot Sport Cup doesn't share the tread pattern of the Pilot Sport. The Sport Cup is a competition tire that comes with a whopping 6/32" of tread depth. Very expensive and no one seems to know if they are faster than the ever popular Hoosier R3S03.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you checked Toyo tires out? I run these on the street and find them to be really nice. They are the T1S they also make a nice road race tire

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
I ran the Toyo T1-S on my WRX on the street & track and I loved them. Decent wear too... four track days (two weekend events) and I still got 20,000 hard street miles out of them. Very sticky and it doesn't have the bad habits a lot of performance tires have like noise & harsh ride. Expensive though. This is the same tire that they use in the Speed World Challenge touring & GT cars, they just shave them down to 2 or 3/32s.

The Toyo RA-1 is kinda old I think... it's been overshadowed a bit by the Kumhos & Hoosiers. They cost more than the Kumhos but aren't any faster (if not a tiny bit slower). Check out last months Grassroots Motorsports magazine, they tested all of the major R-comound tires against each other and the clock.

I've got Falken Azenis on my WRX now and they are VERY sticky and very reasonably priced (like $70/tire in 16" and $99/tire in my 225/45/17). They stick better than the T1-S and are more responsive (very stiff sidewall) but at the expense of less hydroplaing resistance and super loud road noise (almost as loud as my Kumho Victoracers were on the street!).

·
Supporting Vendor
4,423 Posts
Chip,

Have you time trialed with the Azenis yet? I've heard they are a great autocross tire but go off after a few track laps due to heat. Is there any truth to that?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
JoeCab said:
Chip,

Have you time trialed with the Azenis yet? I've heard they are a great autocross tire but go off after a few track laps due to heat. Is there any truth to that?
I've The Falken Azenis Sport on my VW (also on my friend's WRX), that thing is the stickiest tire we've ever tried.
And best bang for the buck.

I think it's probably the best autoX (we drive it on the street too), however, that thing gets hot quite easily, you have to carefully adjust the tire pressure if you want to drive it on the track.

Mine has never overheated on canyon runs or autoX, but the one on my friend's WRX had overheated after a few laps @ willow spring. Maybe my VW doesn't have the power to overheat it... :(

Another problem is, when it's cold, it has no traction at all... it just slides without making noise... but when it's at the right temperature... wow...

215/45ZR-16

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/ has them for $105 each.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I have 215/45/16 Azenis. I never got the tire pressures right I guess because the tires just started loosing grip (at Laguna) after 4-5 laps. Before that it was awesome.

I don't think it would be a problem at Willow Springs' big track though, as it is not as stressful on the tires as Laguna Seca. I did an official 1:45 with Toyo Proxes T1+ at Willow Springs big track.

Unofficially I have done 1:44 with the Azenis, and that was with almost no brakes (due to wrong piston to brake MC ratio). These tires are good provided the weather is cool and the track is not too demanding.

Definitely would be a great autoross tires.

Though from now on I will stick with 2 sets of tires. Eventhough the Azenis is good, it's still not quite up to race tires like the Kumho V700 or Victoracer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts