Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The left side of my trunk lid is elevated... I can't get it to sit properly. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the rubber stoppers, as the stopper doesn't even hit the body..

I had to use spacers to get the plate light to stay on (otherwise it would only turn on when I hit bumps)

Anyone go through anything similar? It doesn't seem to be bent, and the other side is good.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mine is similar! I don't let it bother me but it does. I always figured that the bond between the inner metal reinforcing parts had let go from the outer skin but never looked into it further. or possible a hinge adjustment.

·
Administrator
18,122 Posts
There are two torsion bars that help counter the weight of the lid. Since these torsion bars are adjustable it is possible the one on the left side has too much tension.

Be careful if you try to adjust the bars. There is a lot of energy stored in them. Leverage is your friend - use a pipe as long as will fit to move the as a handle to move the end of the torsion bar to a different slot.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Be careful if you try to adjust the bars. There is a lot of energy stored in them. Leverage is your friend - use a pipe as long as will fit to move the as a handle to move the end of the torsion bar to a different slot.
Wow! I didn't even know there were slots! I'll need to check tomorrow to see if they are at the same level. Thanks for the heads up ghnl!

A previous thread said to look at the hinge adjustment bolts through the carpet side of the rear bulkhead, but to be honest - I didn't see any when I looked. Of course, I missed the adjustment slots, so there goes that credibility...

Quick question, what happens if I loosen this bolt:

Can I then push the left arm downwards a bit? I'm guessing that just a small downward push may bring the trunk lid back in line. Are there two bolts up there like the Roundtail?

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,256 Posts
if it short, and pops out.. might not be able to put it back in, try the more finesse way.. bend the lid..:):)with your hands..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was able to check it out tonight. The driver's side torsion spring was set to a higher level (towards the back of the car) than the passenger side. Unfortunatley, adjusting the spring to level 2 or even just letting the bar free did not lower the lid any. I wonder if it has anything to do with the lid coming free of the ribbing... Upsetting! =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts