Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 1997 BMW M 3/4/5, 2007 Land Cruiser
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car runs great. Have whittled the “gotta do” list down to “wanna do” items. I was all set to replace the inline fuse holder under the parcel shelf as suggested on this forum. I‘d glanced here before but never with intent to work, but I found what I think is the original red bullet fuse holder with a POS aluminum 20 amp fuse in it. Then spliced in and sorta going around it is another bullet fuse holder with another 20 amp fuse (glass style), and a toggle switch. The photos attached should show what I am seeing. The red wire nut connector is in the hole where the toggle switch was mounted for illustration purposes. I am assuming this was all added by a prior owner.

1. Any guesses what this was supposed to do?
2. my intention was to replace the old red holder with a new ATO blade holder and insert a 7.5 fuse.
3. A bit of guidance as to best practice would be appreciated, ditch the add-on altogether?
4. Which of these relays is the one I should have a like backup on board? Big sucker just hooked to a harness or one screwed to metal box?
5. What is that red plug not hooked up?
6. I suppose I should also ask for a wiring diagram for this ‘82 as well

I put a piece of white paper in one photo to make it easier to see the spiced in stuff. Thank you for any guidance. I am pretty good with electricity, but haven’t put my Fluke on any of this yet. Hot on battery is disconnected.

Thank you!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
So, uh, that appears to be a bypass for the fuse? So if the red fuse blows you can switch to the white one and keep driving without having to change the fuse?

No idea what would've been going on to convince the PO he needed that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Could it have been an attempt to turn off the fuel pumps for testing or theft prevention purposes (poorly done of course)

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
1. Any guesses what this was supposed to do?
My guess is he wanted an on/off for the fuel pumps (either for security or just for working on the car when you do not want pumps to run) - whatever he was trying to do, it is useless the way it is wired up.
2. my intention was to replace the old red holder with a new ATO blade holder and insert a 7.5 fuse.
Good idea
3. A bit of guidance as to best practice would be appreciated, ditch the add-on altogether?
Yep
4. Which of these relays is the one I should have a like backup on board? Big sucker just hooked to a harness or one screwed to metal box?
Big black sucker is the Drive/Fuel relay you should have a back-up of in your glove compartment.
5. What is that red plug not hooked up?
that's the Altitude compensator jumper plug (you would jump the 2 pins when driving above 4000 foot altitude). A variable Alt. Compensator device was fitted on 84 and later S3's.
Definitely!
someone here will have the '82 Papajam schematic for you.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
So I guess the switch is there so that you have to be looking at it when the fire starts?

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Car runs great. Have whittled the “gotta do” list down to “wanna do” items. I was all set to replace the inline fuse holder under the parcel shelf as suggested on this forum. I‘d glanced here before but never with intent to work, but I found what I think is the original red bullet fuse holder with a POS aluminum 20 amp fuse in it. Then spliced in and sorta going around it is another bullet fuse holder with another 20 amp fuse (glass style), and a toggle switch. The photos attached should show what I am seeing. The red wire nut connector is in the hole where the toggle switch was mounted for illustration purposes. I am assuming this was all added by a prior owner.

I put a piece of white paper in one photo to make it easier to see the spiced in stuff. Thank you for any guidance. I am pretty good with electricity, but haven’t put my Fluke on any of this yet. Hot on battery is disconnected.

Sending you a PM with the wiring diagram

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 1997 BMW M 3/4/5, 2007 Land Cruiser
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well to quote Bob Weir, “tragedy narrowly averted”...I have removed all the ”enhancements“ and installed a bladed 7.5 fuse. The car starts up as before. Might as well go for a spin since it’s 63 degrees here already.
Thank you all for having a look and commenting accordingly. I am sure I’ll uncover another Alfa mystery soon to share.

cheers, Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts