Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning off some of the oily gunk accumulated over years under my Alfetta, came across this thing that appears to be some sort of sensor that has been zip-tied in place next to what I think is a fuel line. The wire leading to it comes out of the engine compartment and then it folds back toward the front of the car and ends in this long metal probe, inditaed in red arrows. Anyone know what this is or was, and whether I can/should remove it? There is a small nut that looks like it would secure the probe into something, but from what I can tell this this is no longer doing what it was once intended to.

·
Premium Member
16,703 Posts
Maybe a temperature sensor for a cat? I seem to remember that our 78 Alfetta GT had a cat temperature overheat light on the dash.

Reactions: 76Satisfaction

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it possible that it could be somebody's tried to rig up a hidden antenna for the radio and hidden it down there?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Del is correct, that's a temperature probe that goes into the original catalytic converter. It probably runs through the engine compartment and through the fire wall into the cabin where it connected to a switch that operates the "slow down" or "exh temp" light depending on your model year.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Del is correct, that's a temperature probe that goes into the original catalytic converter. It probably runs through the engine compartment and through the fire wall into the cabin where it connected to a switch that operates the "slow down" or "exh temp" light depending on your model year.
What GTV6 model years might that temperature probe have been in use? ..all of them? I have a braided wire that looks AN AWFUL LOT like that probe's wire on the Driver's side of my 1982's engine bay, it's attached to nothing, but secured. The braided exterior is unlike any other wiring, so I thought it was something aftermarket and abandonned.
Grazie, - Art

·
Premium Member
16,703 Posts
Yup. "exh temp" light on the dash of our 78 GT. When we drove that new car across the country from DC to Seattle, it came on now and then because the local Alfa repair shop in DC, Rossanova, couldn't figure out how to set the dual point setup IIRC, and so ignition was a little off. Car ran fine though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yep. Exhaust temp sensor. I removed mine. seems the older Cat’s heated up something awful. Your original Cat is probably useless now anyway. If you have to put a new one in, you probably won’t need that sensor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great stories and responses here, thanks all. Del, I bought this car from California, on ebay. Flew down, got in, drove it home, mostly via the coast highway. The exhaust light was on then and has remained on the entire time, possibly because the cat was in a box in the trunk! I wish I had a "slow down" light, that would be a lot more useful. Now that I know what it is, I wonder what I can do do it to get the dash light to go off.

·
Premium Member
16,703 Posts
"I wish I had a "slow down" light, that would be a lot more useful"

Lol. However, it IS an Alfa.

Have made that same trip many times in Alfas.

Pull the bulb? Or a little piece of black electrical tape over it?

We did that with the oil level light which quit working decades ago in our Milano. and you cannot even see it.

Reactions: ferson206

·
Administrator
17,766 Posts
The exhaust light was on then and has remained on the entire time...
Now that I know what it is, I wonder what I can do do it to get the dash light to go off.
My remembering ain't what it used to be (and even then it wasn't much) - does the GTV6 have just an exh temp indicator or does it also have a mileage minder function? I know the Spider's exh warning light is triggered by a mileage counter (every 30K miles) and is reset by pressing a button on the device under the hood. I recall that our GTV6 has some sort of device behind the dash on the far right side. But I don't recall if there is any sort of reset button on that device.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
My remembering ain't what it used to be (and even then it wasn't much) - does the GTV6 have just an exh temp indicator or does it also have a mileage minder function? I know the Spider's exh warning light is triggered by a mileage counter (every 30K miles) and is reset by pressing a button on the device under the hood. I recall that our GTV6 has some sort of device behind the dash on the far right side. But I don't recall if there is any sort of reset button on that device.
My '81 GTV6 has both an EGT sensor and the mileage counter (it makes a somewhat mesmerizing clicking noise as the car drives). The mileage counter is supposed to be reset every 30K miles, which was the lifespan of the early, single wire oxygen sensors. It is possible that the later GTV6s with 3-wire heated oxygen sensors ditched the mileage counter, as those sensors last about twice as long or more.

The EGT sensor is there because an ignition-related misfire and the resultant unburned fuel in the exhaust stream causes elevated exhaust gas temperatures, and raw fuel/rich mixtures will damage the catalytic converter. But, it seems like most keen drivers would notice such a misfire . . . .

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
85 did not have either of those. Guess things did get better with time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts