Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it some kind of trick cam oiling system?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
In my opinion getting oil directly to #2 & #4 main bearings would be time better spent.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think that the car is still for sale...

I'm just saying....

-Raffi

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's been in here recently and a while back.

It's a means of lubing the cam journals with pressurized oil.
But why? Do they wear out? I have never heard of Alfa cam journals wearing. Have you?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oil To Cams

I think I remember that years ago someone proposed that arrangement as a method to do away with the block to head oil passage o-ring seals, but I could be wrong too.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh! Hmmm...

Thanks mulligan1!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Yes, I presumed it was a workaround to avoid a leaking head gasket at the o-rings. Crazy amount of work involved.

The cam journals do just fine with the normal oil supply. If this was intended to get more oil there (those are big hoses), it seems pointless. And expensive.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes, I presumed it was a workaround to avoid a leaking head gasket at the o-rings. Crazy amount of work involved.

The cam journals do just fine with the normal oil supply. If this was intended to get more oil there (those are big hoses), it seems pointless. And expensive.

Andrew
With a little care the idea could have been carried out in a much cleaner fashion. Much like was done with 3/16" tube on the old "Y" block Fords or the 216 Chevys. Those engines suiffered from horrable oiling on the top ends. Maybe this "artist" was an old Ford guy and he trying to fix something that wasn't broken show off his hose making prowess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts