Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-I want up grade my 76 Alfetta GT exhaust, I do have have CAT on it, but I am gonna take that out, what best sounding?
thanks, Mark

·
Registered
763 Posts
Led Zeppelin or Mamas and the pappas.
Both sound good one is loud and the other is mello. An exhaust is like a trumpet and can be tuned to sound a certain way, straight through no mufflers loud as 5uk with no tone.... or restrict the path of the exhaust flow just like the keys on a trumpet and you can tune in a certain frequency that will enhance of the exhaust without offending everyone in your neighbourhood. If you take out the explosive sounds of the engine think of a Harly Davidson with straight pipes and add the tuned Akropovic or Termigoni sound of a Ducati you will understand what I mean.
I welded in a bypass valve before the rear muffler of my GTV6 around town it sounds like the Mamas pappas flick the switch and it sounds like Led Zeppelin

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,477 Posts
Stock. Alfa spent time and money to get the Alfa sound.

·
17,477 Posts
Well, Alfa owners spend a lot of time talking about listening to the sounds of their Alfas, which is the sounds of the engine and the exhaust. Modified usually just makes it loud, lol.

·
Registered
763 Posts
A lot of modified cars are turned up to 11 as per the spinal tap legand. 3 to 5 is not obnoxious but people know you are around. I roll into the garage and my wife has a coffee for me when I get inside because she knows I'm home. Of course it is only if she feels I might want a coffee.

·
2,417 Posts
Stock. Alfa spent time and money to get the Alfa sound.
Hmmmm... he's talking about a 1976 US spec Alfetta. 4 in 1 manifold. Small catalyst. Air pump. 90 hp.

If the 4 in 1 manifold is still there, it should one the first thing to go. 4-2-1 Euro manifolds, a free flow catalyst, some sort of middle muffler, stinger tailpipe.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Best sound on my Spider (similar 2.0l) was stock cast header, hollowed out cat (because it came apart from being smacked on the ground too much), stock center muffler and Supertrap rear muffler with all the internals removed (think 5" megaphone). It was loud and raucous. But I was 23 back then - your results may vary. :)

·
2,024 Posts
I had a great set up on mine. Loved the sound!
Stock 4 into 2 European cast iron headers with the European down pipe,
a small glass pack welded in as a center section and
an ANSA rear section.
Avoid the 4 into 1 header.

The headers come up from time to time on ebay and in Alfa BB classifieds.

Centerline is sold out of the front pipe currently.
Mr. FIAT has them.

Here's an ANSA rear section on ebay.
It will require some fabrication but a good muffler shop may be able to help you.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thanks for the lead - this is the one part I thought my 'Fetta project lacked. Coming to a good home!

·
2,024 Posts
Hmmm. That ANSA section is gone in 5 minutes after I posted the link.
The original ALFA BB poster never had a chance at it.
Just sayin'... :confused:

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
843 Posts
Unlike other cars, you don't add exhaust things. You take.
Mine is straight to the original back muffler. Amazing sound if I may say. Not even ansa would sound this good.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
ansa hands down sounds the best imo, be it the 4cyl or the v6...its just hard to argue with, if nothing else you can get a shop to copy the pipes and start swapping cans(muffler) till you find what you like

start with a header or euro manifold and work your way back

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'll probably get crap for this, but I did a side exit...

Used a 12" long 2.5"dia Cherry Bomb for a muffler attached directly after the header. I don't have "euro style" headers, but I don't know who they were made by, they kind of look like the ANSA headers. After the bomb it hooks over to the driver's side and is adapted back down to a 2" pipe where I made my own sort of resonator box on the end section of the pipe. I haven't been at speed with it, but just moving it around the yard it sounded pretty good...
[Please pardon the rust and holes, she's a work in progress right now. Hope to have her done by next summer 🤞.]

Wood Automotive tire Gas Natural material Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

Pipeline transport Automotive tire Steel casing pipe Gas Wood

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
2,024 Posts
These headers radiate a lot of heat as many steel tube headers do.
The factory cast iron headers don't.

I had these ANSA headers on my first Alfetta and the 1-4 branch developed a crack.
I had it welded and later sold the car.

·
Registered
1979 Alfetta, Sprint Veloce
4 Posts
Thought I would just throw in my take; ANSA exhaust are/were pure junk. The bane of my Alfa experience. I don't remember how many I had purchased over the years. Most either broke into pieces, rusted out or cracked with lots of coat hanger repairs. As I disposed of my income on ANSA exhausts through the years I finally gave up.
I had installed the two piece cast headers back in the early 1980's. I also removed the cat, there was no alternative back then, sorry. All in interest of performance.
Some 20 years ago or so I discovered Stebro, a company out of Manotick, Canada. They made a free flowing stainless exhaust system to fit the split headers on my '79 Alfetta. The system sounded great, a little louder and throatier, well for roughly 15 miles, the center resonator/muffler internals broke apart; leaving me with a loud, hideous resonating embarrassment. Stebro failed to honor their product so I was left with a broken exhaust and out the money. I took my Alfetta to a local muffler shop outside Seattle, Muffler King in Kirkland, Washington. They took the good stainless pipe sections, welded in a MagnaFlow muffler, tucking it up closer to the body, repositioned the saved rear single pipe resonator (very similar to the Spyder's resonator, vertically oriented instead of laid flat) to complete the job. It has been on my Alfa ever since.
My advice; take your vehicle to a reputable shop and build a new 2" SS exhaust then forget about it and drive your Alfa. MagnaFlow was a good choice for me. That great Alfa sound, good performance; no rattle, no buzz and no embarrassment.

·
2,024 Posts
Yes, I've come across several ANSA sections that have rusted
from the inside out due to moisture accumulating inside.

·
17,477 Posts
Through the decades, the Ansa sections I tried on my various Alfas tended to rust out rather quickly. Never pleased with them, and sometimes, they would also create a certain irritating drone or resonance at certain rpms, usually the ones we tended to cruise at.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts