Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The suspension on my spider is in need of replacement and will likely be replaced in the upcoming month(s) when the spider goes into hibernation for the winter. At this point I am just doing my research on what is available. I was wondering what spring/shock set up everyone here runs and why?

I am interested in improving the handling first with ride comfort second. I personally don't mind the bumpy ride of a stiffer set up and I am usually driving alone most of the time anyway.

The car will most likely not see much track use, if any, but I would still like similar cornering capabilities.

I have replaced the tires with falken azenis if that helps at all.

As usual, any input is always appreciated. I am just trying to make an informed decision on what set up will yield my ideal results.

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
i have qa1 shocks all 4 coners, wheels/tires 205/50/16.. nice ride.. on my 84 spider,, the front springs are 1150'/lbs the rears are coil overs at 125'/lbs

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
I run Centerline sport springs and Koni reds all around. A little stiffer, a little lower, and I would never go back. It is so much better as compared to the old stock items.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Koni reds all around & Centerline sport springs. In the process of installing a chassis stiffener. Major improvement with the shocks & springs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

Koni seems to be a favorite and I was leaning towards them to begin with.
Does anybody have any experience with koni yellows?

Are there any differences between the performance springs that centerline offer and the ones that IAP offer?

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
on those spring rates.. if they are checked on a spring tester.. well the springs on a spider sit about half way from the spindle.. so a 450 rate = 250 wheel rate.. way too soft.. go to qa1 and check the spring rate calulator..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The IAP springs are listed at 1170 lbs front and 195 lbs rear. Pretty similar to yours. Would those be acceptable? Are there any stiffer springs available for our cars? or would they be too stiff?

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
try ... speedway motors....online cat.. front springs at 39.95 each lots of rates.. rears at 49.95 lots of rates..bought my springs there, great service

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a pretty good deal on a set of bilsteins, and am considering those. I know they have a general consensus of being rather stiff but that is fine with me as I am after performance first. Just wondering if they would work well with the IAP springs...

I am concerned about the bilsteins being too stiff in the rear and losing traction as a result. Is this a possibility?

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
scott. i tryed 175'/lbs.. found them too stiff for the rearend..went to 125'/lbs.. very nice set up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts