Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a '76 Spider here in Portland 4 months ago. It had not been on the road since 2005. The PO put new springs and Bilstein shocks on the car in 2004. The shocks are red. The Bilsteins are yellow. The PO could only tell me that the new springs and shocks lowered the car a bit. He may have mentioned the word sport.
The car also came with some paperwork but the shop invoice had no part # or brand of springs. The price for four springs was $215. Shocks were $450.
The PO was a kid in his twenties when he had this work done by a local shop. Not a racer so I don't think he bought anything exotic.
At that time, 2004, what would have been the most likely source of these springs and what would the sping rates be?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,625 Posts
Red springs from 2004 probably would've been IAP. If I can trust the table at the link below they're theoretically 1300#/180# F/R which is pretty stiff vs. stock. With those and the Bilsteins (which I am not a fan of at all) I'd expect a pretty harsh ride on the street.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
Red springs from 2004 probably would've been IAP
Agree. Vick Auto also sold identical springs. It is a pity that in the US you only have a choice between stock which are on the soft side and extremely stiff, race type springs. The UK vendors provide better options.

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
i run 1250 inch pound on the front of my 84 spider and 180 inch pounds on the rear ( coil overs ) and the ride is not harsh at all... ( springs are from speedway motors )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have confirmed that the coil wire size is 21 mm on the front sprints so it appears these are most likely the IAP 1300# springs. And, I can also confirm that the ride is not harsh at all. I have owned many different sports cars, some stock and some with modified suspensions. In my opinion, the setup on my Alfa is primo. It feels good and the handling is great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts