Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What engine do you think sounds the best?
Basically a stock'ish engine with or without exhaust mods.
I've only heard my 2.5 so its hard for me to say anything else. I'm not talking about JJ's, Ar4me or any other full bore race engine. Those are in their own class.
I love the sound of my 2.5 when its humming at about 80 mph, it screams with a beautiful note that tells me to keep going faster and faster. I also scan youtube and a ton of those people use a lot of creative words trying to describe how they love the 2.5 sound. Is the 2.5 the ultimate winner between the 2.5 and 3.0. Talking about how it sounds, not how it can't supposedly beat the 3.0.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I think they both sound great. I think a lot like the 2.5 due to its slowness to rev.
when driving a 2.5 you need/have to rev the piss out of it and as the car seems to take 2 times as long to come up to speed you get to hear the nice WOT alfa sound for twice as long.

with the 3L I stay in 5th even with the tall gears when passing. With the 2.5 I have to shift to 3rd and that is with the low 2.5 gear box to do the same pass. so in that case you get to hear the 2.5 rev close to the limit and shift blip down to 3 then to 4 then 5.
while in the 3l I would just push the pedal and the sound gets a bit louder but not that exciting.

Now if I do the same thing with the 3L it would sound great too but in most cases I would not even bother as I have so much power even in 5th there is no point in downshifting and walking the gears.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
My experience is that owners of 2,5L like that one best and owners of 3L like that best. :)

As I am owner of 3L cars I like the 3L over the 2,5L, as the rule above.

Some like the more busy sound of the 2,5L over the more dull bassy sound of the 3L. When the cams in the 3L are changed to SZ(S) cams the 3L changes charachter to get both bassy and busy like the 2,5L!

On my race car with standard 3L engine with SZ cams and single rear silencer and 113 dB output, that car was judged as the best sounding car on that race event of 20-30 cars. Ferrari was also present. Sadly here there is a 100dB noise rule so the sound output had to be reduced a little :)

Usually when increasing engine volume the sound goes in direction of more bass, and I have heard a racer GTV 3,2L with such a bassy sound, even more than the 3L. However I recently heard a 156GTA 3,2 on track and it had a real nice racy bellow. Nothing dull about that engine! So bigger V6 s have nice sounds also!

G.K.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with GaborK.

I have a 2.5 so they sound best. :D

But, I might just be jealous of the power all you 3.0+ people have...

~Chris

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Stock 2.5 milano vs my stock 3.0 verde....the 2.5 sounded way better. But the 3.0 was so much faster, the car itself was more fun to drive.

And I'm not talking about how long the engine takes to rev up.... ;)

I distinctly remember speeding up to about 90 on the freeway in the 2.5 and letting the engine sit on over-run at around 4500 rpm....the sound is amazing!
The Verde just never gave me those kind of feelings.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I have a 3.0.

That said, we race a stock 3.0 with a slightly modified exhaust in LeMons alongside a stock 2.5 with slightly modified exhaust, and I think the 2.5 sounds better. At the last race, somebody approached us and told us our Alfa sounded "effing awesome". I responded that the other one was the good sounding one, and he told us "nah, the other one is un effing believable, yours is effing awesome."

So there you have it!

bs

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do like the sound of my 2.5. It has a full 2 and a half inch exhaust with a magnaflow muffler with a single 3" inlet and two 2.5 outlets. Maybe i just need to keep this one and buy another Milano with a 3 liter in it for power. I personally have never driven a 3.0 and don't know about the night and day difference in power other folks are talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I do like the sound of my 2.5. It has a full 2 and a half inch exhaust with a magnaflow muffler with a single 3" inlet and two 2.5 outlets. Maybe i just need to keep this one and buy another Milano with a 3 liter in it for power. I personally have never driven a 3.0 and don't know about the night and day difference in power other folks are talking about.
You need to try it. A stock 3.0 is like a moderately built 2.5 in terms of power. Although I will say that the 2.5 with the 4.11 transaxle was able to out gun us on the track, untilmwe swapped in a 4.11 of our own..

bs

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I have both. And I have to say as fabulous as the 3.0 is, I like the sound of the 2.5 better. So if you're only talking audio output and nothing else, there you go. But, I'll give the overall nod to the 3.0 with it's "plenty dang good enough, by golly" sound and a good bit more kick than the 2.5.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I watched that video many times before. I think it sounds great. If you listen really close you can also her the gears in the tranny whining, that sounds good too.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Yes then compare with a GTV6 3L streetcar on trackday in Belgium. This car seems to have removed the middle silencer, which makes the sound sharper.

I think the exciting sound which people a looking for is a function of cams and amount of middle silencer.
When we had to reduce the sound level on my racer it was not enough to only have a rear silencer, but we had to introduce a small mid silencer. In that way we came down from 113dB to 97 db and still the sound is quite impressive on the 3L.

Here a 3L GTV street car on track with a french guy. Sounds nice I think on video, but probably too loud live!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took off my middle silencer and went straight pipe to the rear magnaflow with a 3" inlet and dual 2.5 outlets. I gotta say I loved the sound, It was like a Big Block with high compression and cams just thumping away and you would vibrate being near it. You could hear it coming from 2 blocks away. Needless to say, that was way too much sound. So a few days later I installed a 30" long aftermarket silencer in the mid section. It cut the noise in half but it was still the same noise. Now I miss the big noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a 3.0 america for about 6 months ago, sold my seriosly rusted 2.5 at the same time.

That said, I miss the engine sound from the 2.5 like crazy everytime i drive my 3.0!:(

But I do not miss bad brakes, bad handling, No AC and exhaust smoke in the car!:cool:

As for enginesound, take a listen to the vid below 30 sec into clip. Best Alfasound on vid ever!

alfa romeo 155 DTM and alfa romeo 155 GTA TURBO. - Car Videos on StreetFire

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry, alfapaouer...

The 2.5 still sounds best! :D

~Chris

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
neither - the best sounding v6 is the 2.8 litre version! :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
combo, good one :)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I keep on believing that the 3L is the right choice for me, since 1990, cant be that wrong...surely most owners of 2,5L want to upgrade to 3L and 200Hp! Just hiding behind the mantra that they like the 2,5L sound better, actually they dream of a powerful 3L!

Here a 3L with side pipes on a test including a bit of drifting

G.K.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
More power always sounds better (if only for the doppler effect of more speed)

I've never been able to pick the sound difference between a 2.5 and 3.0 (never mind my own 2.8). In standard form, they all sound the same to me. Modified, well, there's now some many other variables that can influence the noise.

One thing I think that people can like 2.5's for is that they generally come with shorter gearing, which gets them up in the rpms quicker and easier than the 3.0 and the taller diff gears and 1,2,3 ratios. Once you slot the shorter gearing behind the 3.0 (or 2.8) its much the same sound.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts