Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have Vredestein Sprint tires but they are 185/14/70. The original tire was a 165/14/70. Should I stick with the 185 or look for more of an orignial size? Can you recommend a brand that I should use? Note: I been running these tires on the car now for over 20 years. This year they seem to have a few flat spots. I sure got my money worth out of these.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I can recommend Vredestein 165/(80) 14 tires. I think that this is the original size for your model and they work very well!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
185/70 14 also works well on a 5.5 inch rim, but 165/80 or 175/75 looks more 'period' (but the tyre quality may suffer - if a 'cheap' base-spec economy type tyre) - not sure about the Vredestein though?

If you have 6 inch rims, you can move to a 195/65 14 which will bring in a range of higher performance tyres. Used to be able to get some really good rubber in this size, but not so easy these days. 195/60 14 opens up good options, but reduces gearing and ride height.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last night I read through all the other threads on tires. I am a little worried about using 195/60/14 due to indication that this may damage the sterring box. Have others notice this issue? Also, I do not know if the rim is 6" or not. I guress I will not know until a take a tire off. I can not find the verdestein sprint tire in a 185/70/14 on the web. Does anyone know if this tire still exists? Is there a good source for tires this size on the web in the USA? A lot of folks talk about the Falkin RT-615r. But they only come in the 195/60/14 size. I do not care about the tread wear since I only drive my car in the summer. Will this tire fit on my stock original rims without damaging my car?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Coker Tire has Vredstein 165 SR 14 and Michelin in 165 Hr 14, maybe other sizes as well. These need inner tubes. I just got the Michelins and there were no problems with the stock rim, but, boy they sure are skinny compared with most everyone elses "modern" tires!

Update: Coker does have the Vredstein Sprint in 185 HR 14 $130.
Vredstein Sprint in 165 SR 14 $84.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Just went on the Coker site and they only list the Michelin in 165-14.
If you want the same Vredestein tire, they are in stock at Tires Unlimited in Ohio (where I got mine) or British Wire Wheel in California.
If you like the way your car handles and especially if you want to keep the light Steering that the cars came with, stay with the stock size!!! Most people put the big 'racy' rubber on for looks and ruin the fine handling ballance that Alfas are famous for. IMO of course ;^)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Steering boxes are certainly getting fragile with age, but I doubt it will be an issue with 195 section road tyres. More likely to be damaged by hitting a pothole at a bad angle!

I think the Falken RT 615 is a semi comp tyre - which is a whole different ballgame to the pizza slicers that most posts have been discussing here. It comes down to whether you want performance (ie grip, but a bit heavier in the steering), or originality (which also involves light steering and lots of opportunities for sliding :) ). Its all good in the end. If you can't choose, just get two sets!

·
Registered
298 Posts
tires

Regarding the tire question...I am very happy with the 185/70/14's on my 69 spider. I chose Pirelli P3000 for a number of reasons:

Original brand
Italian
Somewhat traditional vs a modern tread design
Modern build technology
Availability in size

For spirited driving and a near-original feel, I would make the same choice again.

I'd not read great things about modern Pirellis, but these are surely much better than those on the car in 1969.

GMack
Minneapolis
74 GTV
69 Spider

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I look to see if I could find the p 3000 but guess what. They seem to be discontinued like all the other ones. the P 400 are now P 400 e only.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for replying on this thread. I was able to find the Verdestein Hi-Trac 185/70/14 tires from a local dealer eventhough I could not find them on the web for USA distrubution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts