Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just had the 75 V6 2.5 in at the exhaust shop and they told me that it not only needed a section of pipe replaced, but the cat was shot and that it needed a new one. So they replaced it and repaired the pipe. I was a little surprised at the cost, and even more so when I saw a hi-flow cat on eBay which claims to suit the GTV6 for much, much less money.

So now I am wondering if I was overcharged. Bearing in mind that I am in Australia, where things are often quite pricey, has anyone else had the cat replaced in a V6? What should I have been charged for a new cat and an hour or so of labour?

Cheers, MK.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Factory cats anywhere are really expensive no matter which continent. The aftermarket cats will work but from my experience do not last all that long. One of my best friends has owned an exhaust shop for some twenty years and says it's the quality of materials. I've used the superflow cats and they have passed California smog but two years later they were shot. Granted this was not on an Alfa but an RX7, but the point remains.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The cat that the 75 uses isn't a standard design like other cars. You require one that either runs single in or twin in then twin out to the centre muffler.

I investigated getting a direct replacement with a Magnaflow cat, and it was going to cost me $380. I ended up getting a high flow Magnaflow from an online store for $130, and had the exhaust shop remove the centre muffler and turn the whole exhaust into a single 2.5" system. It cost me more in the labour for converting the system to a single than it did for the cat - although he was shocked I could get the cat so cheap. Did a crap job though! :rolleyes:

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
kragen auto

#38922 Maremont $144
#15021 Walker $131
#94007 MagnaFlow $117

Jegs
94007 MagnaFlow $99

·
Premium Member
13,486 Posts
The down tubes on my Verde are flattened and the slip joint connections to the center muffler are shot. I live in a state with no emissions testing. Is there a good straight-through alternative?
Thanks,
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
88 Verde in SC
88 Verde in CO, on loan to my son.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
CSC headers + downpipes mate straight to your stock center exhaust deleting the cat:
CSC Exhaust Components
At least they did for me on Roxanne.
Jes

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,154 Posts
I paid $200 for a cat to get my 77 spider through Air Care.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
My friend just paid US$400 to have a cat installed and passed California emissions. If you don,t need a cat (alfaparticle) and don,t want to spring for headers just go to local muffler shop and get them to put straight "test" pipes in. Great sound and more responsive throttle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got charged $600 recently in Syd for a one pipe in, one out cat, fitted.
I really should have checked Ebay first :mad:

Dont feel so bad ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
$780.00 !!! $600.00 !!! You guy's got raped!
Post the question on the board before getting opened up next time.

·
Richard Jemison
7,188 Posts
Catalytic Converters and Stuff

:rolleyes:I have to comment....
Alfa GTV6 GP & TSDude:John & Dude, Ya`ll Just think! That was OZ Bucks! :eek:
What would that be in these worthless US Dollars??:( Please let me know the current ex rate...:confused:

Alfaparticle:
Ed:
You should check out my listing on the BB below:
The shape of the rear of the cat makes it a great collector, and resonator. Probably better than what I used.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/50417-gtv6-milano-cat-replacement-off-rd-only.html
The problem with the down pipes are they are Iron, and some are double walled for sound. If you have a muffler shop willing to go the extra mile you can create a great exhaust system with a little work.
The Alfa stock headers (the initial runners), are great and work as well as headers. Their limiting factor is the reducer into the collector. A proper down tube can be made with prebent header tubing (stainless or standard steel pieces) to create a system that works as well as headers. See picture below on the set in the GTR. Don`t let anyone tell you that you can`t well on cast iron. It is done everyday, just has to be done with the correct material & process. It really easy. Why pay for headers unless it`s the LOOKS you are after.:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,486 Posts
Richard:
Have you sold it?
If not you can add $150 to what I owe you.
Ed

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I bought a Magna flow two in, one out cat from Summit for about $100, then had an entire exhaust system run from the bottom of the headers back, with two flex joints, a center muffler and rear, plus a nice little tail pipe for an additional $650 last year. A good exhasut shop can make a nice front section for you with cat for less.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
$780.00 !!! $600.00 !!! You guy's got raped!
Post the question on the board before getting opened up next time.
Yep, I got bent over and shagged alright.

But my situation was I got mine replaced 2 days before driving/moving from Syd > Melb. I actually thought it was my heat shield making rattling/flanging noises but turned out to be the cat. I had to get it fixed there and then.

I could not bear listening to that noise all the way to Melb :eek:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
bent over and shagged?

TS Dude,

I dunno, on my second Milano, I purchased a cat-back from Stebro (after much comparison to stock/Ansa/Daytona & Remus. I chose the Stebro because it's all stainless and at the time, the exchange rate was favorable (1 CAN$ = .85c US). Anyhow, when I went to the dealer to install, the two pipes coming off my cat were a bit rotted, so they had to source stainless pipe to repair that before connecting the new cat-back. Cost wayyy more than I would have thought. But when you're paying $70.00hr labor, fixing quickly can become more expensive than replacing...:(

I think you got a fair deal - sux just the same though...

Keep in mind that the Milano (75) cat is different (as you can see in Alfar7's pics) and you'll pay a premium over "universal" cats. -The way I see it these days, if it says "universal" it's probably Chinese - so expected life might be 12 months to 2 years - maybe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
TS Dude,

I dunno, on my second Milano, I purchased a cat-back from Stebro (after much comparison to stock/Ansa/Daytona & Remus. I chose the Stebro because it's all stainless and at the time, the exchange rate was favorable (1 CAN$ = .85c US). Anyhow, when I went to the dealer to install, the two pipes coming off my cat were a bit rotted, so they had to source stainless pipe to repair that before connecting the new cat-back. Cost wayyy more than I would have thought. But when you're paying $70.00hr labor, fixing quickly can become more expensive than replacing...:(

I think you got a fair deal - sux just the same though...

Keep in mind that the Milano (75) cat is different (as you can see in Alfar7's pics) and you'll pay a premium over "universal" cats. -The way I see it these days, if it says "universal" it's probably Chinese - so expected life might be 12 months to 2 years - maybe.
Yeah, I should have mentioned i got some new tubing before and after the cat adding to cost/labour. Would have bumped up the price a bit. I would love to ditch the cat altogether :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts