Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car and the previous owner said it just needs a fuel pump. So far, I bought a new battery, siphoned as much fuel as I could out of the tank and put about a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil down each cylinder. Oh yeah, I replaced the burnt fuse in the Fuel Pump fuse box (hope that solves the fuel pump problem).

What else should I do before I try to start it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much for the info. I printed it out and will follow your guidance.

Anyone else have any tips? I am thinking of replacing all of the fuel filters and having the gas tank done at a radiator shop. If I need the under chassis fuel pump, what is the best one or best source?

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I'd definitely replace both filters and may as well replace all of the rubber fuel lines while you're at it. There are four short hoses coming off the main filter housing in the engine bay and three back by the pump and tank. Put a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank and run the pump to flush the hard lines and bottom end of the Spica pump then drain it out when you replace the feeder hose to the electric pump.

I'd also use some MMO in the fuel initially. They recommend 4 ounces for 10 gallons but you could use maybe 5 or 6 for the first tank. I use it all the time to resurrect my weed-wacker and chain saw after they have sat in the shed all winter and believe me, it does work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like good advice. That is a lot of fuel line, but will do it to make sure. No sense doing just part of the job. I want it done right. Now I just need to find a radiator shop to do a great job on refurbishing the fuel tank.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hello,

I allso have a 1978 spider that I have been rebuilding . I know that mine came from Cal. It was made aug of 77 but sold in march of 1978 so it is taged as a 1978. I used a sealer from KBS coatings ( KBS Coatings - Paint Over Rust - Stop Rust Paint - Gas Tank Sealer - Gas Tank Liner).
It was for small tanks of 12 gals or less. Cost was $41.00 for kit. shipping was $9.00 . total of $50.00.

I just got a email from them and I have a $10.00 off code you can use .
Code is (E511) good thru 05/31/11.

They have lots of videos on how to do it. I was able to clean and coat my tank in one warm sunny day . I let it set for a week before i used it. That was two years ago and It still looks good.
Around here they charge $150.00 or more to clean and coat a tank. If you need any thing just send me a pm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the offer Chef Step. I am going to take the tank out today and drop it off at my local radiator shop. Works best for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts