Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking for a winter project, so I thought I would get my UK 1976 Series II's boot sorted. All I have in there is a mangy old carpet, a spare wheel that is loose (no restraining thingy) and the handle from a scissors jack.

My question is: what should be there? I realise the carpet is not original, but was there a rubber mat? Was there a ply or hardboard panel above the wheel and fuel tank to serve as a base for the mat? What tools lurked there originally?

Does anyone have a nice sorted boot/trunk setup they would like to share as inspiration for said winter project?

Eugene

·
Registered
15 Posts
I understood that you want change your wheels for winter. Is it correct? Can you explain your question in other way....I didn't understand....thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understood that you want change your wheels for winter. Is it correct? Can you explain your question in other way....I didn't understand....thanks.
No, you misunderstand ... I am asking about the bit of the car which is called the 'boot' in the UK and the 'trunk' in the US, i.e. the place at the back of the car where you put your tools and luggage! The portabagagli?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the images. That is one very neat looking boot. Can anyone please confirm whether there is some sort of ply/hardboard sheet underneath the mat? And, if so, a picture?

Sorry to be so demanding ... :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, you misunderstand ... I am asking about the bit of the car which is called the 'boot' in the UK and the 'trunk' in the US, i.e. the place at the back of the car where you put your tools and luggage! The portabagagli?

:eek:SORRY!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I think my tool bag was missing but my jack is like the one in the pic but mounted on the right fender. if my memory is right it is just carpet but it had a hardboard under the carpet.
or at lest over the tire. it has been ages I never look under the rug.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have a '76 2000 Spider and there is a bound grey carpet in the boot which is rubber backed. I believe it to be original. There is no covering to the spare wheel or petrol tank, the carpet just runs over. The jack is mounted on a threaded stud on the RHS inner wings area together with a plastic wallet containing a spark plug socket, bar and a wheel nut lever.
Trust that this is useful.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a '76 2000 Spider and there is a bound grey carpet in the boot which is rubber backed. I believe it to be original. There is no covering to the spare wheel or petrol tank, the carpet just runs over. The jack is mounted on a threaded stud on the RHS inner wings area together with a plastic wallet containing a spark plug socket, bar and a wheel nut lever.
Trust that this is useful.
Mine, a USA spec 78, is the same re: carpet. (We Americans also get the battery weighing down the trunk's passenger side, however, so my jack is up against the bulkhead as shown in one of the examples above).

The lack of support for the carpet over the tire well and gas tank always seemed odd to me (especially with the hoses coming out of tank). Did the older rubber mats have some sort of hardwood or cardboard surface underneath the mat? That photo of the '69 above is so flat and solid looking it seems like it has to have some support underneath or it would droop. (i wish they'd stuck with the rubber mats in the trunk; very practical.)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I thought there was a round hardboard that had a spring snap that went into the center of the spare. but I might be thinking of my 1968 corna. but I thought the corna had a big one board for the whole trunk bottom and a big threded thumb nut that went into the center of the spare.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
My 67 Duetto only has the Rubber Mat

There is no hardboard (Masonite) or plywood subfloor. The mat just sits over the gas tank and spare tire. There is a molded foam piece that fits over the hoses exiting the gas tank, but it is very small.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
There is a molded foam piece that fits over the hoses exiting the gas tank, but it is very small.
FWIW, an old pic from my S3 showing the foam bit.
Might not be exactly the same as what yours requires, but the concept is likely the same.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,061 Posts
Dang, I Jones for Chuck's toolset . . .

Looks like a later model had fewer tools, only the tire wrench and plug wrench (double-ended spanner)?? Where was the bar that drove the spanner? There was a post-105 toolset for sale on e-Bay recently by Vangelis (here on the ABB also, see parts post). The more original 72 set just recently sold for $200. Here are a few current ones (search: "alfa romeo tool"):
1. Link1 - not original for a 72!!
2. Link2
3. Link3
From time-to-time the spare tire hold-down wingnut and bracket come up, and a jack occasionally also.

One thing you don't want to find there is Jimmy Hoffa.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,061 Posts
Thanks for the images. That is one very neat looking boot. Can anyone please confirm whether there is some sort of ply/hardboard sheet underneath the mat? And, if so, a picture? Sorry to be so demanding ... :eek:
The lack of support for the carpet over the tire well and gas tank always seemed odd to me (especially with the hoses coming out of tank). Did the older rubber mats have some sort of hardwood or cardboard surface underneath the mat? That photo of the '69 above is so flat and solid looking it seems like it has to have some support underneath or it would droop. (i wish they'd stuck with the rubber mats in the trunk; very practical.)
NO there was no board under the rubber mat over the tire, BUT I cut and put a piece of 3/16" Masonite in over the spare tire well as the rubber develops ripples/sags and eventually cracks in the rubber mat. May get around to doing it over the gas tank but the gaps are nowhere as big and it seems to be holding up fine for 40 years. Original mat there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ghid...traducimi la domanda, se non ho capito male lui chiede come deve essere il tappetino della sua spider CT del 1976...è una 2000 Veloce?
Cosa c'entra il set di atrezzi? grazie!

Pleas Guido translate for me the question....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts