Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my hood back from my body shop. The front underside brace and developed a crack right near the latch so we stripped it to bare metal and discovered it had been repaired once before (brazed). We removed the brazed material and welded it to better than new. We also added a thin brace to the underside of the original cross brace to strengthen this area. Now there is no flexing. I have been told this is a common weak point on these cars. Now the paint is finished again, inside and out, to "show" condition. Yesterday I installed it back on the car.

My question is this: What particular years had the under hood quilt padding? I installed it on my hood before but it was not an easy job and didn't look like it was supposed to be installed there. My under hood cross members do not appear made for quilting to pass under them. They do not move to allow the installation. I had to split the quilt down the middle at the front and force it under the cross members. I have now decided to leave it off, especially since the paint looks so nice under the hood now.

So, what years had the insulation quilt installed?

Cheers,

George

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I just got my hood back from my body shop. The front underside brace and developed a crack right near the latch so we stripped it to bare metal and discovered it had been repaired once before (brazed). We removed the brazed material and welded it to better than new. We also added a thin brace to the underside of the original cross brace to strengthen this area. Now there is no flexing. I have been told this is a common weak point on these cars. Now the paint is finished again, inside and out, to "show" condition. Yesterday I installed it back on the car.

My question is this: What particular years had the under hood quilt padding? I installed it on my hood before but it was not an easy job and didn't look like it was supposed to be installed there. My under hood cross members do not appear made for quilting to pass under them. They do not move to allow the installation. I had to split the quilt down the middle at the front and force it under the cross members. I have now decided to leave it off, especially since the paint looks so nice under the hood now.

Cheers,

George
You are correct, sir, on all counts by my book. Although the parts book calls for it, I don't believe I have ever seen one on a Giulietta Spider. The parts book also does not show the two horizontal struts to fasten the VIN/Lube tags to so there are additions and deletions that crop up. I think the correct decision is the one you made. Pressing firmly on the nose of the hood/bonnet to make the final latch adds significant stresses on the skin and framework. I simply drop the hood from about 6-8 inches to latch it the good old American way we did things. Once you get the hang of it and overcome the fear of it you will see what I mean. Good luck in Portland! Rick

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick, that's exactly what I do to close the hood. The first time I saw it done was when Bill Eastman drop-closed his hood in front of me and I took a step back in amazement.

G

·
Registered
1 Posts
hood quilt

Hi George, My original Normale spider built January 21st, 1960 has it. It's at the body shop right now, but if my memory serves, it's a very tight fit. I wonder how they did install it? When I go to the shop next week I'll try to get a photo... Regards,

Jim Mead
Owego, NY

·
Registered
94 Posts
The channel stiffener on my '58 750 is spot welded to the exterior skin. Having seen Spiders with insulation I'd assumed it was a 750/101 difference. Just an assumption.

Doug
Long Beach CA

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
21,131 Posts
I just went out and took a pic. This car is original in the sense of never having been restored, but it was a daily use car for 40 years, repaired as needed, so it' not necessarily "original" as in exactly as how it came from the factory. I can't say whether this was changed without going back through the receipts (I have them back to Day One). The chassis plates have no numbers on them, which leads me to think the hood might have been replaced long ago due to accident damage. If true, the quilting might have been changed at the same time. I'll go through the receipts this weekend.

The quilting appears to be all one piece, fed loosely into the sideframes and trapped by the hood spear backing strip in down the middle.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went out and took a pic. This car is original in the sense of never having been restored, but it was a daily use car for 40 years, repaired as needed, so it' not necessarily "original" as in exactly as how it came from the factory. I can't say whether this was changed without going back through the receipts (I have them back to Day One). The chassis plates have no numbers on them, which leads me to think the hood might have been replaced long ago due to accident damage. If true, the quilting might have been changed at the same time. I'll go through the receipts this weekend.

The quilting appears to be all one piece, fed loosely into the sideframes and trapped by the hood spear backing strip in down the middle.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, do your cross members have a 90 edge on the side.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hood insulation

And what year is yours? Do you have the center strip; hard to see in photo?
I have 3 750F veloce spiders and a Giulia Spider Veloce. None of the early (750) cars have the center strip. I had a '56 and I believe it did not have insulation, as it had the center hood support (spring loaded, actually much nicer that the later cars and easier on the hood as well). The trick to installing the stuff easily lies in how many pieces your insulation actually consists of (wink).

·
Premium Member
21,131 Posts
George, not sure exactly what you're asking re the 90 degree crossmembers.
Looks to me like the grey car above has no center strip.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
George, not sure exactly what you're asking re the 90 degree crossmembers.
Looks to me like the grey car above has no center strip.
Andrew
Andrew, are the cross members "L" shaped or are they flat bar shaped?

·
Registered
641 Posts

Cheers,

George
George,
I don't know that folks are directly answering your question.

From everything that I have read, the insulation mat was a 101 item. 750's don't have it.

So, 750's were made up until 1959. 101's were from 1959 on. In 1959 there were a slew of transition cars, which had bits of both series on them. So, it is possible to have a '59 with the 750 short wheelbase and a 101 hood. Or, you could have a 101 long wheelbase '59 with a 750 hood on there.

Now, the hoods are interchangeable. So, a particular car could have inherited a hood from another series at some point in its life and it will look like it belongs there. I have even seen a giulia with a giulietta hood on it, and it fit fine. No worries, it will work whatever the case may be.

With the 101 hoods, the cross member would pull away from the hood skin. I believe that it would sort of pop out in a tin-can sort of way. The mat was then slid behind the cross member, tucked in around the edges and the cross member pushed back in. The skinny piece that extends lengthwise mounted up to the hood spear studs and also helped hold the mat in place. I have read of people using contact cement on the mat, but I don't know if that is how the factory did it.

The 750 hoods had the cross member spot welded to the hood skin. At least that is how mine is. So, you can't pull the cross member up and slide the mat behind it. I suppose that you could cut the mat to fit the individual spaces, but I bet that it would be tough to get it to look good, IMHO.

I hope that helps,
Jon

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine are an L cross section, which tapers to flat at the outer ends.
Andrew
That is the exact information I needed. I will check mine tomorrow,

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
81 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread as I am trying to figure out of my '65 spider 101 should or not be equipped with a under-bonnet quilt. It was unrestored when I got it and clearly did not show any trace of it.
Any input appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,217 Posts
Your '65 would have one. In '65 only the odd factory race stuff did not have the quilting, and some of those had functional "air-scoop" vents. I've an odd one that had no insulation, but the scoop holes are blocked.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts