1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 35 year workshop manual recommends:

For the engine SAE 20/40
For transmission SAE90 EP

Presumably since the manual was printed technology has been able to provide something more advanced - any suggestions ??

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Sure, much have happend in oil devellopment since. But your engine is still the same.
If your engine is newly rebuild you can try a modern syntetic oil, though I wouldn't go for 0W-30/5W-40 but more like 10W-40 or 15W-50. If your engine has some year and miles behind it since rebuild and have been run on dino or unknown oils, I would stick to dino or semi syntetic 15W-40/20W-50 (classic oil). With fully syntetic oils you risk old oil seditives work loose and flow around in the engine and plug the oilways, or high oil comsumption from leaky rings or valves and leaks from gaskets or O-ring.
Many have tried modern syntetic 75W-90 oils, but most of these are to GL5 standard while the 105/115 gearsboxes are designed to GL4 stardard. Redline MLT 70W-80 GL4 or 75W90NS (NS = No Slip) are recommented by many.
Erik

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Good advice on prev post. I would add if you could put up with more leakage (place a large cardboard under your car in the garage), use 10-40 vs 20-50. lighter weights are always better for your engine, since startup is the most wear occuring in engines, and the lower the better . I use (and many do) 20-50, only because , for now, i have a d**m leaky engine seal, but as soon as I fix it, I will try 10-40 again.

There are a LOT of MYTHS about oils , and sometimes it is hard to decipher it all. Beware.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My '70 Spider had about 3000 miles on it after engine rebuild but had only done 300 in last 2½-3 year before I bought it. It had Castrol GLX3 15W-40 in the engine and leaded a great deal, especially at rear cranck seal. My workshop changed to Valvoline Max 10W-40 which didn't help. Next year I changed to Duckham Q 20W-50 Classic and leakage stoped.
This is, I think, caused by a combination of dried engine gaskets being revilalized by additives in Valvoline Max to improove gaskets and seals, engine being used on a regular basis and the heavier weight oil.
Next year I see how it behave on Texaco 15W-40 SEA SE oil - changed before being layed up for the winther -, if it's keeping tight I probably try a 10W-40 semi syntetic oil to see what happens.
Erik

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Castrol 20-50W high mileage oil for my 86 Spider. This oil leaks less than any other I've tried.

It's also important to keep the crankcase full and change your engine oil regularly. I change mine every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
There are a lot of opinions and preferences regarding oils, and these subjects have been discussed extensively in previous threads. I would encourage you to do a search. To get you started, I've listed some threads about engine oil. (You'll find there are also several about tranny oil.)
Best regards,

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've used Vavoline dino engine oils for decades. I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My Alfa Tech has been putting Shell SAE 30 in my '91 Series 4, he's been building & racing Alfas for decades! No leaks, drips, or 'seeps'...w/over 40 years working on Alfas who am I to question his recommendations(?).

Regards

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would suspect that if you got 10 Alfa owners in one room you would get 12 different opinions on this subject.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a feeling that everyone has a favorite oil of their own, and thats fine.. Just trying to stay away from creating a problem. Agip has a 10W/60 motorcycle oil which is high in zinc/phosphorus combo that their petro engineer recommended to me this am. I called their distribution center and had a conversation about motor oil suitable for Alfas. They have a 5w/40 SYNTHETIC that comes recommended as well. Do we have anyone on the site who has used either oil?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts